Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Where to Put HDS7 and HDS8

Post Thanks / Like

Default Where to Put HDS7 and HDS8

I am upgrading my fish finders to Lowrance HDS7 and 8 with SI and downscan. I currently have 5 inch units in dash both at the console and the trollling motor. I am leaning toward putting the HDS8 at the trolling motor since I spend most of my time tightling from that spot, but I notice most guys put their larger unit at the console. What are the advantages and disadvantages, if any, in your experience??

Thanks for any ideas and input.

Crappieranger
    You don't know if you don't go.

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Bigger at the TM...advantage.....distance from your eyes to the unit....

Especially tighlightlining..you're probably standing up.... your eyes will be 5-6ft away from the screen....

Sitting at the console..your eyes will be 1-2ft away from the screen...

Rickie
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Post Thanks / Like

IMO its a waste of time side and down scaning in the front of the boat.i never use while im fishing only when im looking for new spots,while scouting for new spot bigger is better. i run a hds 10 at console and 7 in the front

Post Thanks / Like

I think I would put the 8 up front since that's where you spend the most time, and can use all the functions available to you. hope you enjoy the new FF's.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's how I'm set up, it may sound crazy to some but my set-up is versatile does what I want it to do.
    I have both an 8 and a 5 on the console and a 7 up front, all linked through the LSS-1. I personally like the bigger screen at the console because that’s where I’m searching for structure from and I wanted the bigger screen there.
    When running on pad, the 8 is on 2D sonar for bottom lock and the 5 is on mapping. When searching for structure I use two scenarios for the console units. If I’m fishing a very familiar area or say looking for submerged stuff in a creek or something the 8 is on sidescan and the 5 is on downscan. If I’m looking for an open water brushpile or in an unfamiliar area the 8 is split screen showing side and down scan and the 5 is on maps so see the waypoints or I can stay where I want following contours and/or submerged channels, roadbeds, points, etc. more closely.
    When I find something I want to fish I’ll drop a buoy close by and then use the trolling motor and the 7 to stay on the structure. I have a puck transducer on the trolling motor and the 7 is always on split screen with 2D sonar and downscan so I can see whats at the back of the boat also. Sometimes when vertical jiggin bridge piers or shooting docks I may switch the 7 to sidescan, either left side or right side, and troll past at a quick pace and take a peek at what’s there, if something catches my eye I’ll turn around and fish it. I have no problem seeing the 7 front the front deck, but I do have it mounted on the gunnel and is elevated on a Ram mount so the screen itself is about 14” above the deck itself.
    -LP

2007 Skeeter ZX-20 Bay / Yamaha 150 VMax
    Lowrance HDS-8, 7, & 5 with LSS-1

Post Thanks / Like

I have an 8 and 7. I have them both mounted on Ram mounts. 8 at the console and 7 bow in front. They are linked together. i purchased two LSS units so that i could have Down scan on the trolling motor and on the transom. If you slow troll off the front,, the Down Scan is awesome. I can swap the units out with no prpblem.
    Brush Buster

Post Thanks / Like

I moved my 8 from the console to the front, 7 to the consloe, for fall and winter, now come spring time I will swap them back. I don't look for fish in the fall and winter, I just go to a few spots to fish, but in the spring I look all over for pre spawn fish and use the 8. get two ram mounts the same size and swapping is easy....

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated!

CR
    You don't know if you don't go.

Post Thanks / Like

I have 8 on console and 7 on bow. The 8 has 4 windows and 7 has 3. I use the console to hunt and mark w/p, and the bow to troll and go from w/p to w/p. When trolling I keep the 7 on chart and broadband, where I can concentrate on fishing. I also have a 5 on bow if I want to use downscan and sidescan. Works good for me