Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Shakamak State Park

ranfish1 Guest

Default Shakamak State Park

Anyone know anything about the North lake I'm leaving NW IN> To take my kids down there On the 4,5,and 6th of May. Just some direction would be good, Don't need a honey hole just a push in the right direction. Temp of water, Maybe a good color for jigs. Any help would be great.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm from the Chicago area and I have been fishing Shakamak, an average of twice a year for the last 25 years straight. We fish these lakes in mid to late September when the gills are putting on the feed and the fishing can be gigglishish. The small lake (Lanape) is my favorite and my confidence lake. The North lake (Shakamak) can be on and off and is at times a tough nut. You'll have to be versatile with your presentations during the hunt and you may find yourself taking fish both in skinny water and suspended over the deep but these fish are crackable. You'll be real happy with the thick 8" average size and variance in color these fish show.
    Panther Martin spinners make great search lures and allow you to work relatively fast during the hunt.
    Enjoy.
    Any

ranfish1 Guest

Default It's all good!

Thank You for the information, I believe I'll only fish the lake one whole day on Saturday with my children. Friday I will be on the stip pits of Greene-Sullivan with my wife. A friend and I were down there last week and although it was our first time we explored as many pits as we could. I was impressed at the thickness of all the fish, never caught anything to brag about. But,we did have some nice filets when we cleaned everything up. We were lucky enough to see a couple very nice crappie a couple 16's and a monster thick had to be 19 in. crappie.When we were at the cleaning station by reservoir 26. Most fish seemed very close to be moving shallow. No beds up to that point. I will use a seach bait till I get on active fish. If your interested E-mail me private and I'll let you know what our exploration turned up on the pits. If you been going down there this long you probably have a good idea where to fish. Thanks for the information. I"ll reply back when I return.