Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: First Time??

Post Thanks / Like

Default First Time??

I am getting into spider rigging for the first time. I have a boat, rod holder reels looking into rods, GPS depth finder. I need help with the tackle I am gonna need. Hooks I wanna go with Sickles. But what size, style, and weight? Tubes or other plastics what colors and styles? Any other tackle will I need? Thanks.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not a dyed in the wool spider rigger, but I am set up and have a bunch of fun with it. Too stiff a rod will cause the jigs or baits to bounce up and down every time a boat goes by, or whatever. I use the BnM bucks graphite jig poles and like em, 5 @12' and 3 @ 10'. If I were starting out, knowing what I know now it would be all 12's. I use a jig and tip with a minnow when necessary. travel real slow, then slow down some more. Bobby Garland baby shad (BGBS) are normally on the end, with 1/16 or 1/8 heads. Panfish assassins and southern pro curl tails also get some use til I see what they want. A hundred dollar hand held gps with a power cord will help you get back where you want to go. A Ram mount holds mine and that unit gets a lot of use. Others will give you their opinion shortly, and some will have lots more exp than I. My rig came together slowly and didn't break the bank, and works just fine for me. Good luck and have fun.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around