Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Question.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question.

I have a (land to water) dock on a pond that sits in 8' of water ... 20' off the dock the water is about 12' deep. Today I made a pvc tree. I took a 6' piece of 6" pvc ... drilled holes every two foot so I could insert 1" pvc pipe thru it ... sticking out 2' on each side ... every 2' until I got to the bottom. I put a 2 liter bottle between the two top 1" pipes ... and drilled holes for a rope to attach to a concrete block at the base.

I dropped it 20' off the dock and the water is clear enough to see the top of it 6' down. Which is great, because most of the time I fish this "hole" from the dock and use bobbers.

My question is ... how many should I put down there? Do I just load it up? Or do I spread it out within casting distance from the dock? Would it be better if I had two or three "holes" or one great big ass one?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

What ... nobody wants to chime in on this one?

Post Thanks / Like

Hey there KCBH, I'm still learning everytime I put something out but I can tell you what has worked best for me. It probably wouldn't hurt to put a few more in if you chose to do so. 2 or 3 in one spot would be alright. I think I would prefer to spread them out where you could fish a different one after you caught fish or disturbed the others.

I have personally messed up a good brushpile by adding several more tree-tops to an already good producing spot. By doing this I either spread the fish out over a larger area or I just am not able to find the part of the structure that they want to use.
    CATCH A BIG-UN

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I would place two to a spot and make several spots or locations. It does'nt really have to be large to hold crappie. The fish on our lake seem to favor a small area on some very large brushpiles. I usually try not to make them too large. But big enough to locate easily and so both fishermen in my boat can fish. This is usually 2 -4 buckets of bamboo or cane to a spot. I perfer perssimion trees as they have small amount of limbs and fish love them. Our lake is shallow and we lay the trees down weighted with blocks. I've had mixed results so far with PVC. What I think is lots of small piles or condos is much better than one large one.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

At first I was just going to make a line of pvc "trees" in a half circle around the dock but now I think I will just make 3-4 spots . Each hole should have no more than 2-3 pvc tree's each, right?

Post Thanks / Like

I placed mine so that the prevailing wind would drift my baits across ALL of my condos. I did leave about a 10 foot space between them. I figure that if I left the 10 feet between the condos, my bait would never be more than 5 feet away from any one of them----close enough.

Post Thanks / Like

I got some more pvc so I expect a few more pvc trees this weekend.

I am going to fill the 6" pipe with dog food before I put them it.

Thanks for your input!