Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Starter Model

Post Thanks / Like

Default Starter Model

What is a good starter kayak rated for 275 lbs and comes in olive drab that could be used for fishing at Jordan lake and duck hunting the back waters? Just a basic entry model into the world of kayaking. No fishing pole mounts, storage points, foot peddle power or depth finder mounts. Seems to be alot of basic perception models used for sale in the area but they seem to be all rated for 225 pounds and bright orange. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

See if you can find a Malibu Pro Xplorer. If you are a tall guy, like over 6'2", you really need something like a Malibu XFactor. It is a great big guy yak.
    It is a bit heavy and you will hear it is slow, but you will have a dry ride, which is important to me. Always consider the "dry ride" as a big thing. A yak may be faster than another, but if your butt is sitting in a couple of inches of water all day, gets really aggravating.

You will find all different answers, but I have owned Wilderness and Hobie yaks, and the Malibu X Factor or Malibu Pro Xplorer are the two driest rides I have found.

Also important is getting a good seat. You will spend lots of time in it, so you need to get one that is comfortable and gives you the best support.

Good luck on your search for the right yak. Bottom line is, the best one is one you fish out of.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the information.

Post Thanks / Like

You can also go to these sites and get tons and tons of info on kayak fishing, etc

REDIRECT
    Bayou Coast Kayak Fishing Club - The Front Page

Post Thanks / Like

You can check out the nucanoe. It's a kayak/canoe hybrid, the 10' model is rated for 450 lbs and the 12' model is rated for 525 lbs. Check out their web site.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess by starter model your looking for something on the lower end of the price range. I would suggest that you look for either a Guide 119 or Kaynoe (same boat just depends on which store is selling it) which comes in green, drab, camo, and red. Dicks sporting goods seems to have them pretty often around here. Yes it is a canoe, but by using a kayak paddle it works as well as anything else in that price range. I would also suggest keeping your eye on craiglist in your area for higher end kayak that are used.

Post Thanks / Like

If you are looking for a Sit in model watch for a used Wilderness System Pungo. It is a very stable yak. I have had one for 3 years now and I both fish and hunt out of it.

Post Thanks / Like

check the ascend line that bass pro sells I have the fs 10 and love it the A10 or D10 might be a good one for you

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks fishken
    May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it. Irish Blessing.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all your inputs.
    May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it. Irish Blessing.