Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maximum Horsepower question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Maximum Horsepower question

I was just wondering if it is always a good idea to get the max rated horsepower for a boat. I sometimes wonder if this may be counter productive, or maybe not as important for some boats and some people. I know you do not want to be underpowered in a boat. However sometimes I think manufacturers might push the limits with max horsepower ratings to sell more boats. Also for instance on a crappie boat that has a max rating of 75, and you can save 1,500 dollars by going with a 60 HP, is it worth it to add 15 more HP? I mean you might go from say 38 mph to maybe 41 or so, how many more mph would it take to make it worth it to add over a thousand more dollars to the price when you are mainly just crappie fishing and not major tournament fishing. I also think sometimes the max HP is too heavy on some boats if you have a 4 stroke. Just wonder what everyones thoughts are.

Post Thanks / Like

The thing I look at is you could run at 38 MPH with the 75hp and NOT be wide open. I believe in putting max HP for that reason you can cruise at the speed a smaller motor would be wide open. you dont have to use the HP but it's there if you need it.
    sounds like your getting closer everyday !!
    Minnermatics Prostaff
    My wife lets me buy all the rods and reels I can hide.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't believe that you have to go with the max rating,especially if you are not into speed. It makes sense to save the dollars, you can always try differnt prop pitch and diameter to get the most out of the outfit. If you are buying new or repowering ask the opinions of several boat dealers regarding the outfit and setup, they can help steer into the right for you outboard setup.

Post Thanks / Like

hey joe, i need to pm you my situation when I get a little time and let you know whats going on ha ha.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

x2 on what Joe said. Yet again it also depends on your financial position. if the extra money would keep you off the lake or put you in a bind to go there certenly go with the lower HP. 75 if max would be better but 60 would more than get the job done. Good luck with your decesion.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappieseeker View Post
    hey joe, i need to pm you my situation when I get a little time and let you know whats going on ha ha.
    I went without a boat for about 8yrs, had to depend on buddies to take me or fished off the bank. sound familiar ? looked around for over a year and found a real good deal on a NEW boat. had figured on a used but got lucky. take your time and be willing to travel and you might luck up and find a steal one day. GOOD LUCK
    Minnermatics Prostaff
    My wife lets me buy all the rods and reels I can hide.

Post Thanks / Like

max horsepower,i owend one underpowered boat,lesson learned

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blueball View Post
    max horsepower,i owend one underpowered boat,lesson learned
    i had one with max hp and it seemed too heavy and did not perform well

Post Thanks / Like

IMO a boat with max hp is going to 9 times out of ten be better than a boat with less hp. The boat as a rule should handle better, get out of the hole better and run at top speed when needed. You don't always need the power but if a storm blows up and you have to make your way across a treacherous lake, you will be glad you have the hp to power up and down those big waves. It's not always about running wide open but when you need it you'll be glad you have it.

Post Thanks / Like

Of course for me most of my experience was running a Champion Bass rig for about 8years with a 200hp EFI.....2 speeds, stopped and WOT..... I did run a smaller bass rig for about 5 years prior that had a v4 115 and I thought it ws great until I got my Champion.

Now that I have switched over to a Lund Deep V w/115 4stroke, Its rated for a 150hp and I wish I would of got it. Not because I need it. The boat runs 40 WOT, gets up on plane quickly, and will cruise very well in the 20's. Its not a dog by any means. I wish I would have got the 150 because I like WOT speed. Just going to take a while to get past this for me.....in the long run with fuel prices always going up the 115 was the right choice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast