Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: New with Question

Hillbilly Guest

Default New with Question

Have been reading this Forum for a very long time and enjoy it alot. Have really gained from the "Structure" section. I have purchased a BnM jigging rod recently and am looking at buying one of the mini bait cast reels to put on it. My question is "which one do you crappie fishermen/women prefer and why? I see several on E-Bay for sale but don't know anything about the brands. I really would appreciate any thing you have to say about them.

Post Thanks / Like

I use the cheap and LIGHT plastic BnM reels ($4). I vertical fish and hold the rod so I like a light reel. The mini-baitcaster to me, are wasted money. Once I have my depth I never touch the reel again anyways...so...you make the choice...

Speck is offline MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with sac-a-lait. The reel is just a line holder on a jigging pole and not really needed to fight the fish. By the way, with trying to fit in with the politically correct crowd, we prefer the term Ozark Americans to hillbillys now LOL. Speck

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Crappie Xtreme is offline Moderator Illinois Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with both the B&M reels are the best. I use them on all my crappie poles for vertical jigging and for bobber fishing in the buck brush. No need to reel up if you have the right depth. And they are not expensive at all. Spend the money on a good crappie pole or two and put these reels on. I think you will be happy if you do it right.

Crappie X.
    IL board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, you can't beat the little plastic $5.00 reels from B&M. I like to set it on clicker and tighten up the tension knob. This works as a crude drag system in case I hook up with a catfish, gar, or even a large slab.

Tighten the tension knob but you still want to be able to pull line before it breaks.
    CATCH A BIG-UN

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I bought a couple of the B & M reels and they'd do fine if all you intend on doing is verticle jigging. The ratio is one-to-one and this is a pain if you ever decide to use the poles for letting out alot of line such as in a night stalk or something. But for no more than they cost I'd say try them and later on if you ever decide to go to something a little better then you havent lost anything much.

BTW, welcome to the forums!
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

I use the light weight crappie reels as well. I have used B&M and Silstar's CR-5. Both work well.

Welcome to the forum.

Post Thanks / Like

Use the plastic ones unless you are young and in good shape. You will be surprised how heavy that pole gets holding out there all day. I even went to the 12 ' B&M ultra light pole a few years back and it makes it much more easy to hold the pole at arms length all day, and it will handle 3 pound fish with no problem.
    Biguns only:D

Hillbilly Guest

Thanks a lot for all the advise and sorry it took so long to get back to the board (I work shift work). I bought a BnM 12ft jiggin pole at Wally World for $10.00. Was in section where they knock down prices to get rid of things that aren't able to move. I will go ahead and put a little mini reel on it and see how I like it. I fish alot with an 87 year old man who uses old simple equipment and he will out fish me 90% of the time. Old man is full of Crappie knowledge and has shown me more in the last year than I would have learned on my own in 15.