Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: New to crappie fishing question?

jackie53 is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default New to crappie fishing question?

New to crappie fishing we fish clear water mountain lakes. We have been catching them out of deep trees 15-20 feet.The next time we go they are gone were did they go Were do you look or what would do to try and find them we cast1/16oz/1/8oz crappie grubs crappie jigs and tubes where did they go the crappie.What would you do to find them?
    John 3:16
    Blessed to have as many friends as fingers on your hand is a blessing!!!
    "Gone fish'n not wish'n"
    In God We Trust.
    Can God trust us.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't fished clear water like you describe, but the search method should be about the same. Maps and electronics will come into play. Start looking for bottom structure like dropoffs, ledges, sharp inclines, and blown down trees into those steep inclines. Don't get locked in to what you're already comfortable with, go outside the box and be PATIENT!! This can be frustrating, and sometimes you'll find them and they won't eat. This isn't a time to say"well this isn't working" and give up. If you can slowly go through your bag of tricks and pay attention to small details you might only catch a few small fish, that would be mission accomplished. Then look for other areas that are similar. I start with jigs, then if I know they're there and not biting, I'll add a nibble. If that doesn't do it, I'll go with minnows, but that's rare. I can usually generate a strike with a jig, and then maybe change color til I find one that works better than the others. That's just my thinking. Keep in mind there are days that you can't buy a crappie, and they frustrate us all. Keep us posted when you get it figured out, you'll be teaching us all.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

great advice

jackie53 is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have fished B.A.S.S. and the FLW as high as you can go but these crappie are giving me fits one day you can catch 2 limits next day nothing and these guys on here crappie .com are catching a hundred limits.I have some of the best Crappie fisherman around trying to teach me. Light rods,4lb test line,(sowing thread) thought I knew something about fishing fished from texas to canada to the east coast and west coast this crappie fishing is different you have to know the exact spot the right lure or bait and cast to the same spot or you will not get a bite.But loving every min..of it Creekslick and others(Nimrod) ritebite baits around our area have been nothing but great help.Lord Willing will hopefully get their one day. 100 crappie limit unreal and I am trying to catch just one!!!!
    John 3:16
    Blessed to have as many friends as fingers on your hand is a blessing!!!
    "Gone fish'n not wish'n"
    In God We Trust.
    Can God trust us.

Sky Pilot is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Terrific information Skeetbum, I am going to really try that approach this coming weekend.