Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Light Action Spinning Tackle

Post Thanks / Like

Default Light Action Spinning Tackle

Where I presently live, all I use for crappie fishing is ultra light spinning rigs. However, I am going to purchase some light action reels and rods. Those of you who use light action tackle, what is your favorite light action spinning reel and your favorite light action spinning rod?

I will be looking at rods in the 6-7 foot length, one piece. I don't do tightlining. I just enjoy sitting with rod in hand, waiting for a bite, while I watch God's creation around me. Here I can see deer, otter, beaver, an occassional black bear, plenty of little bushy tails, and some very beautiful bald eagles. What a joy!

Thanks for your thoughts.
    Jerry Bo Bryant [Matthew 4:19]

Post Thanks / Like

Crappie max by bass pro makes a nice rod in light action. I have the 8ft sig series and love it. I match it with a shimano reel and works great.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks razoredge. I will check that out.
    Jerry Bo Bryant [Matthew 4:19]

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey, BO.... what's your definition of "tightlining" ?? If you're just "sitting with rod in hand, waiting for a bite" .... that's tightlining to most of us.

If you just want to upsize your rods/reels from UL to lite, and you're happy with the brands you're using, why not stay with those brands & just get their lite versions ??

With all due respect, I'm just trying to understand your reasoning for going to a slightly heavier level of equipment, when you're not adding to or changing the methods you currently use.

If you MUST have a 1pc 7' rod ... you've taken a big chunk of choices out of the mix. Is there a specific reason why you think a 1pc rod is necessary, or is it just your personal preference ??

... cp

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have 2 Bnm 8foot Bucks Graphite jig poles and love em. Check them out before you buy. They're 2 piece but a great rod. 2000 series reels work real well for me, less coil in the mono.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

I really like the Ozark Rod Company rods. IM7 blanks with cork handles. I love the 9ft rods paired with shimano 500/750 series spinning reels. The spinning reels I have in my opinion are a little overkill (price wise) for crappie fishing with long rods. In my experience the long rods limit how much the reels drag actually comes into play. You also seldom "reel" fish in with a long rod. I think any $20 spinning reel would probably do just fine...it primarily holds line. A good drag though does come in handy for that big slab or the occaisonal catfish

Post Thanks / Like

Just realized I didn't read your post very well. Going with a 6-7ft rod, I would get a reel with a decent drag. Shimano Sedona/Sahara are in the $60-$80 or a Sienna for $30. Those BPS Crappie Maxx Signature rods razoredge mentioned are nice rods and come in a 7ft length for $49.99, Model CXS701UL.

Post Thanks / Like

I think you like the light action vs the ultra-lingt action rods. I made the same switch a few years back and liek the results. I'm not brand specific but I much prefer the IM-6 over the IM-7 graphite but thats a personal preference.
    I got to say that Crappie Maxx does have a nice quality sound to it!

jackie53 is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Grizzly jigs.com Mr.crappie rods,reels and line was their for the tackle show a great bunch to deal with.They are fisherman helping fishermen well worth the look.
    John 3:16
    Blessed to have as many friends as fingers on your hand is a blessing!!!
    "Gone fish'n not wish'n"
    In God We Trust.
    Can God trust us.

Post Thanks / Like

I you like a real light action rod, I would recommend Diawa Spinmatic rods around 7'. Great light rod for the money. I have 4 of them and fish with them all the time.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast