PDA

View Full Version : things to have list HELP

crappieseeker
11-17-2004, 09:05 AM
Can you guys give me some advice on things to have in my boat when I get it. My crappie rods are the main thing lol.

parivercat
11-17-2004, 09:23 AM
toilet paper,napkins,paperplates,papercups,plastic silverware,babywipes,tylenol,sunscreen,bug spray to name a few! Also, a sweatshirt or jacket,knit cap or gloves?? Plus your state required life jackets,
floating pillow,fire extinguisher,floating pillow, & most important--Boat registration!

Happy Fishin!
Lady Di/Mrs. parivercat

Big Zig
11-17-2004, 09:24 AM
paddle, manual hand pump, orange fabric (18 x 18), air horn, lifejackets, anchor(s), rope (don't short change yourself here), tackle box of small hand tools, first aid kit........I'm sure I'll think of more.

If you have a local Coast Guard office, have them do a courtesy check to your boat. They have a real good checklist of things to have onboard. You'll get a coast guard inspected sticker that once it's on your boat - they won't bother you on the water. There are different stipulations with different size boats. I have found my boating certification (non mandatory) has come in very handy as well.

fatboy
11-17-2004, 09:32 AM
In Tennessee seeker, you must have a "signalling device" aka air horn. The floating pillow went into effect last year. Must have registration on the boat. Useable lifejacket for everyone on board, so don't have four adult jackets with two small kids. They will write you a love letter real quick . The wardens are thick on Tims so you will get checked fairly quick. go to www.tn.gov, go to wildlife resources, hunt around a little, there is a whole list there somewhere

crap-king
11-17-2004, 09:51 AM
everyone is giving you a good list - in NC the coast guard requires flares - extra plugs are good as well - if you buy from a dealer they will hook you up with all the required stuff for your area - if you but from an individual they will have most everything but you need to check expiration dates and make sure the fire exstinguisher is charged up as well - buy good rope also - the good stuff that will not mold and mildew -stuff gets wet on a boat - I would get a good waterproof bag to stow on board as well to keep important stuff you need dry

crap-king

Roberta
11-17-2004, 10:52 AM
Spare prop and pins for your trolling motor.

Barnacle Bill
11-17-2004, 11:23 AM
Since your going to have plastic silver ware, don't forget the beanie weinies and sardines. And by far, the most important item, A pee bucket.

crappieseeker
11-17-2004, 11:28 AM
Fatboy, where can I get the floating pillow, is it what they consider a throwable floating device?

Barnacle Bill
11-17-2004, 11:39 AM
We found out last year that the throwable cushion has to be out of the plastic and not in a storage compartment while on Kerr Lake. Its OK to have the life jackets in there. It does make sense, but something else to get hung up on.

jcass
11-17-2004, 11:50 AM
Along with everything else mentioned:
I assume you are already considering a fishfinder and GPS. Marine radio with weather station not a bad idea if fishing bigger lakes.
A lot of guys up here are carrying the portable battery chargers now, in case the starting battery goes down.
Spare drain plug and keys. Bumpers if it is a nice boat and you will be tieing up to docks sometimes.
Don't laugh - folding umbrella.
Big plastic bag for trash or emergency raincoat.
Spare bulbs if fishing at night.
Extra trailer light assembly if trailering a lot. Also extra bearings or complete tire and hub if going long distances.
If you get everything you need, you are going to need a bigger boat!

Moose1am
11-17-2004, 12:15 PM
Here is a list that I would have in my boat:

Live well with pump out capabilty
Depth Finder and GPS or combinations of both combined
Bilge pump
anchors
anchor rope of at least 75 ft in lenght
Fire extinguisher
rod holders
marker buoys
life jackets (one for each person)
trolling motor
trolling motor battery (Optima Blue Top Marine type D900M)
Starting Battery (Optima Blue Top Marine type 1000M)
Battery Charger (either onboard or other)
Cigarette Lighters (2 one in bow and one on steering console) used to run accessory items like underwater lights for night fishing or other items.
Water Temperature gauge ( either built into transducer or seperate)
Oar ( in case of emergency)
Tool Box with spare fuses for all engine and boat fuses) Should have screw drivers flat blade and phillips, open end wrenchs, pliers, spare wire and wire stripper and extra electrical connectors and electrical tape, Sockets with ratchet type wrench to change spark plugs, spare spark plugs, Can of DW 40,
First Aid Kit with bandages, iodine or other antiseptic like neosporine.
Minnow Buckets or a built in system to keep live bait.
Storage compartments that can be locked up
floating built into boat.
extra boat plugs.
Spare rope (30ft long) used to launch the boat.
Pop up tie offs that can be used to secure the boat to a dock. Or have rope on front and back port and starboard to tie up to a dock that does not have any rope there. Lots of docks have a place to tie a rope to but no rope there. If you launch by yourself the extra rope really comes in handy. Tie the rope to the bow of the boat and then to your truck or the trailer and then unhook the boat from the trailer wench and then you can back the boat trailer into the water and the boat will float off the trailer and the momentum will push the boat out into the water. They with a very long rope you can pull up and get the boat trailer completley out of the water and still have the rope attached to the boats bow. Set the parking brake and stop engine and leave truck in gear and make sure that it's secure on an inclined ramp (set wheel chocks if necessary) and then you can get out of the truck and pull the boat to the shore and tie it off to something while you get back in the truck and go park it in the parking lot. This works good when by yourself and it's fast and effecient.
wheel bearing buddies for the trailer wheels
spare tire for the trailer
Trailer tong jack that folds up when not in use. (used to raise the tong of the trailer and to hold the tong up.
Anchor hoist system. (electrial powered or manual) Pulls the anchor up remotely if electrical.
Bailer ( can make this out of an old Purex Chlorine Bleach 1 gallon bottle. You never know when this can come in handy.
Aerator for the live well with timer system.
flare gun for emergencies
OK check with the local US Coast Guard to find other items that they may require to get your boat coast guard certified

And don't forget to get your boat registered and liscensed and to get BOAT INSURANCE.

Can you guys give me some advice on things to have in my boat when I get it. My crappie rods are the main thing lol.

labill
11-17-2004, 01:00 PM

Don't forget to have a few marker buoys on board, in case you find a brushpile or a productive structure formation. A minnow bucket and the small net to catch them, a compass or GPS to find your tops or navigate thru a fog, a lure retriever, polarized sunglasses, ruler for measuring that big 'un, scale for weighing it, an order form to upgrade to a bigger boat. :D Seeker, you will never see the end to this list. I'm a "just in case" boater, but it has saved many a trip by having what I need to make a repair or get past a problem. The trouble is, I can't put anything else in my boat!.....lol! MOST IMPORTANTLY, enjoy your new boat, and good luck......

Moose1am
11-17-2004, 01:09 PM
Let me add one more LOL

I think that having another power source 12 volt is a must these days. They sell many types of the 12 volt batteries that have battery jumper cables connected to them. These batteries are basically a spare 12 volt wet cell battery that is portable. They come with built in handles to carry them around and they come in different sizes and outputs. Some have built in air pumps and most have a built in light in the. All have jumper cables of various lenghts and most have a 12 volt outlet to plug a cigarette lighter type power plug into. These devices are great to have when traveling in case your battery in your truck or boat runs down. They can help you get the engine started when you run your battery in the truck down by leaving the headlights on or something else. Once you jump start the vehicle you can then charge the vehicles battery back up. So in those rare times when your vehicles battery or your boat's battery runs down these battery jumper kits are great to have around.

I use my to power my underwater fishing lights, my electric 12 volt filet knife and to jump start my truck.

I need to use this jumper thing about 3 weeks after I purchased it. I was way out in the boonies and the neg cable on my trucks battery had come loose and my truck's battery was not being recharged and it ran down on me causing my truck to loose all power and to die in the middle of the road one night. I was able to jump start the truck and then found the loose cable connection and fixed it. I would have had a long walk home and had a lot of worries about leaving the truck and boat out in the middle of a road out in the boondocks. Just think of all the things that you keep in your boat and the thought of leaving that out in the boonies unattended while you hitch hike back home would be unthinkable. There is way too many expensive items that could be stolen while you were gone for help.

I consider this battery jumper pack to be a must have safety item for those that travel alone. It's almost as important as having a cell phone which I have yet to get LOL>

Don't forget to have a few marker buoys on board, in case you find a brushpile or a productive structure formation. A minnow bucket and the small net to catch them, a compass or GPS to find your tops or navigate thru a fog, a lure retriever, polarized sunglasses, ruler for measuring that big 'un, scale for weighing it, an order form to upgrade to a bigger boat. :D Seeker, you will never see the end to this list. I'm a "just in case" boater, but it has saved many a trip by having what I need to make a repair or get past a problem. The trouble is, I can't put anything else in my boat!.....lol! MOST IMPORTANTLY, enjoy your new boat, and good luck......

Barnacle Bill
11-17-2004, 01:12 PM
I also keep a spare set of trailer bearings and seal in my truck.

ncnat
11-17-2004, 07:58 PM
Don't forget the medicine chest, it helps to sooth the pain when you forget something
that wasn't listed and you needed.

Barnacle Bill
11-17-2004, 08:05 PM
And if you have any room left, a fishing pole!!

cspen
11-17-2004, 08:09 PM
I suggest setting up a spare tire with the hub and a good set of bearings mounted to the trailer.We have done this to one of our boat this way and it has came in very handy.The parts are available thru Northern Tool and Equipment.They sell a bracket to mount just a spare tire but if you buy a axle stub and weld it to the bracket you can keep the bearings and hub on your boat trailer with a good spare

crap-king
11-17-2004, 08:53 PM
how do you guys float all this stuff - my boat is supposed to draft in 6" of water, but if I had all the things I seen listed herei would never make it off the ramp
crap-king

duane
11-18-2004, 02:58 AM
Along with everything else mentioned:
I assume you are already considering a fishfinder and GPS. Marine radio with weather station not a bad idea if fishing bigger lakes.
A lot of guys up here are carrying the portable battery chargers now, in case the starting battery goes down.
Spare drain plug and keys. Bumpers if it is a nice boat and you will be tieing up to docks sometimes.
Don't laugh - folding umbrella.
Big plastic bag for trash or emergency raincoat.
Spare bulbs if fishing at night.
Extra trailer light assembly if trailering a lot. Also extra bearings or complete tire and hub if going long distances.
If you get everything you need, you are going to need a bigger boat!

AND in my case a heavier trailer to carrier it all. I wore my tires out from inside out and dealer said I was carrying to much weight for the trailer.

Also one other thing. If fishing during cold months a bottle of Wild Turkey. Good to be warm. I love fishing and Wild Turkey Hunting. Hunting where I sat down the bottle of Wild Turkey last.

Ranger375
11-18-2004, 06:17 AM
Good advise from all the above. Check around on your boat insurance some give a discount if you have the Coast Guard inspection. Tha just might make the difference on whether you have the right lure in the tackle box.

Didn't notice what size motor, but if you do not have stainless prop and are in a lot of rough places to possibly damage a prop. Piranha.com has a prop taht you can change the blade on the prop. I had that on my old boat with and 85 HP. That was first boat I'd had and I damaged a few props as an education. These props are not for the bigger motors.

The biggest thing you don't want to forget is have FUN. Again congratulations.

crappieseeker
11-18-2004, 02:56 PM
Thanks everyone

Kenny
11-18-2004, 10:12 PM
I would add one more thing to the lists everyone has posted here....and this one item is what makes a fishing trip more enjoyable than anything else...take your wife...she not only adds to the enjoyment of the trip but if she likes to fish you get to go more often with less hassle.

abarkley
11-19-2004, 12:20 AM
variable speed trolling motor
seat
rope
bouy markers
pee jar
life jackets
throw cushion
anchors if you use them
rod holders(front and back)
good depth finder
whistle
fire extinguisher
kill switch
paddle
long handle net(at least 8 ft long) those durn fish like to flop that one last time at the boat. that net'll get them before that last flop
coolers
poles
tackle bag

Ranger375
11-19-2004, 07:31 AM
Another addition that nobody has mentioned is a spare set of keys on a float. Best to use the plastic key ring if you have more than one key. Another item would be an extra set of key for the tow vehicle. I have always put the keys in one of the storage departments so if I should happen to get dumbed in the lake by wake from speed boat or jet ski...lol don't have to worry about keys coming out of pocket.

fishin3
11-20-2004, 08:34 PM
One thing I did not see and found out the hard way with my father was a spare trolling motor prop and pin to hold it on with. Mine is at the bottom of the lake somewhere. :(

Darryl Morris
11-20-2004, 09:58 PM
If all else fails, here's my short list of must have's:

rod, reel and tackle -- your first
High tech -- GPS
Low tech -- paddle
Practical -- whatever you determine the content amount of your boat to be for insurance purposes -- double it. Had a break in and the home owners hade to cover the other half. State Farm did me right and didn't have to. Every thing between High-tech and Low-Tech is optional.

CohuttaCrappie
11-21-2004, 11:14 AM
One thing I did not see and found out the hard way with my father was a spare trolling motor prop and pin to hold it on with. Mine is at the bottom of the lake somewhere. :(

This is certainly a good idea. I've broke the prop before and not had a spare. It takes the fun right out of the fishing trip! You can't catch fish if you can't get on 'em!

crap-king
11-21-2004, 12:23 PM
whatever you put on your boat make sure you got a place to store it - we fished last night on a 22' pontoon - 3 people and you still could not hardly walk for the stuff laid everywhere
crap-king

Barnacle Bill
11-21-2004, 04:32 PM
whatever you put on your boat make sure you got a place to store it - we fished last night on a 22' pontoon - 3 people and you still could not hardly walk for the stuff laid everywhere
crap-king

Isn't that a law or something? I think if I had rigged up the flight deck of the Nimitz when I was on it, it would have got cluttered.

skiptomylu
11-21-2004, 04:41 PM
Other than the safety stuff the thing I find really useful is....instead of a regular ore/paddle, get one of the plastic paddles with a telescoping aluminum handle with a plastic hook on the other end. It will store better because it's so short when collapsed and the hook make for a great boat hood to grab things like docks, stumps, trot lines, etc.

You can find them lots of places but are also available at places like Bass Pro or Cabela's.

Good luck!!!!!

S10CHEVY
11-22-2004, 07:10 PM
Lots of good advice on here, but the one obvious thing, that everyone forgot is a good flashlight. When all else fails, and the batteries drained, and it's dark out, it just might be your friend. On the thing of taking your wife, "Don't leave home without her." You would want more than a pee bottle then, so an extra bucket, would be the ticket. :D

CrappiePappy
11-24-2004, 08:41 AM
my partner purchased this little jewel .... and carries it in the boat at all times. .............. http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=45411&hvarTarget=search&cmCat=SearchResults

Hey -- when ya gotta go, ya gotta go ... :D !!

No matter how big a list you compile, or how many "absolutely necessary" items you put in your boat ... you WILL add more, down the line, as your "experiences" mount up ...........luck2ya ..........cp :cool:

Barnacle Bill
11-24-2004, 08:49 AM
Sometimes you just gotta let it all hang out.

Moose1am
11-24-2004, 11:43 AM
I carry my miniflash light with me everywhere I go. I have the accessory that carrys the flashlight and my leatherman tool on my belt. The carrying pouch attaches to my belt via VELCRO. It goes with me on all my fishing trips. I also have another one of these flashlights in my truck at all times along with spare bulbs and spare AA batteries and AAA batteries for my walkman radio.

Lots of good advice on here, but the one obvious thing, that everyone forgot is a good flashlight. When all else fails, and the batteries drained, and it's dark out, it just might be your friend. On the thing of taking your wife, "Don't leave home without her." You would want more than a pee bottle then, so an extra bucket, would be the ticket. :D

Cane Pole
11-24-2004, 11:17 PM
If you have miss or mrs, gotta have it. Saves many docking manouvers. Five gallon bucket good. Leaves ring around the boodie though. Got Honey a Toilet Lid that fits bucket for B-day present. Oh, I have posted this before.

Ranger375
11-25-2004, 07:33 AM
I thought I had everything possible in my boat...find so many things I had not thought about that I'm going to have buy a jon boat to pull behind to carry all the necessary support items. . . LOL

crap-king
11-25-2004, 08:26 AM
I thought I had everything possible in my boat...find so many things I had not thought about that I'm going to have buy a jon boat to pull behind to carry all the necessary support items. . . LOL
Jon boat wan't do it - it will take at least a 20footer to pull this gear folks are talking about
crap-king

treepotato
11-25-2004, 10:29 AM
my partner purchased this little jewel .... and carries it in the boat at all times. .............. http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=45411&hvarTarget=search&cmCat=SearchResults

No matter how big a list you compile, or how many "absolutely necessary" items you put in your boat ... you WILL add more, down the line, as your "experiences" mount up ...........luck2ya ..........cp :cool:
Hey Pappy,
I now have a whole new understanding of the term, "Jon Boat".LOL.........treepotato

Moose1am
11-25-2004, 10:40 AM
Hey Pappy,
I now have a whole new understanding of the term, "Jon Boat".LOL.........treepotato

anchorpuller
11-07-2005, 10:34 PM
Y'all are real considerate with the buckets/potty thingies.
A real GOOD idea was given to me from a crappie.com person. A PONCHO!
Don't take up much room and covers real good for when you need the bucket. ;)

fishman247
11-07-2005, 11:15 PM
Food!!!!!!!!

Gotta Have Food........
Pork Rinds
Pickled Eggs Or Pigs Feet
Vianna's
Beenie Weenie's
Potted Meat
Crackers........
Or Whatever Tickles Yer Fancy.......

Eager Beaver
11-08-2005, 11:52 AM

Isn't that what the live well was made for??????

CrappieHead
11-08-2005, 02:46 PM
I carry a live basket the wire type for the fish I get because my live well is full of all this junk I carry. I did get a dry storage box a few years ago to keep all my papers, maps and first aid kit in and would not be without it, looks like a tool box.

Do not forgot the bar of soap to carry along. Irory works best it floats.

Pomoxis 2
11-08-2005, 05:50 PM
So far, everyone forgot the MOST IMPORTANT THING:
You are going fishing
- you need to bring 1/16 oz jigs and black bodies!
For the other needs:
You can go in the woods BTDT.
You can paddle BTDT.
You can eat raspberries and walnuts BTDT.
You can feel your way in the dark BTDT.
You can drink the springwater BTDT.
You can swim back to the dock BTDT.
You can let the government tow the boat back to the dock. Hey they have to do something constructive once in a while, don't they? After all, you pay them. Better yet, let another crappie.com fisherperson tow it back. All you have to do is give them a couple of those black jigs I told you about BTDT.

sac-a-lait
11-09-2005, 08:05 AM
Man by the time you have all this crap in your boat, you won't have time or room to fish or put any fish...

Oh yea, don't forget a big closet organizer so you can put all this stuff in it.