Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: spinning vs baitcasting

Post Thanks / Like

Default spinning vs baitcasting

O.k. I have to ask is baitcasting reels better then spinning reels? I've been trying to learn to use a baitcasting reel because I feel that I look like a beginner without one. I've tried time and again but always go back to the spinner. the only problem I see is the spinning reel seems to promote line memery in heavier lines 8# and above. What are the advantages/disadvantages. I fish For trout to saltwater surf and use a spinning reel for all of it....... Not the same one. Ha Thanks for your insight to my question. Don.

Post Thanks / Like

Baitcasters shine with heavier line and bigger baits. That's why you see all the bass guys using them. They're throwing 3/4 oz spinnerbaits on 25# mono or 60# braid.

I use nothing but spinning reels (unless I'm fly fishing.) They do fine with the baits and lines I'm using. As far as this:

Quote Originally Posted by donj View Post
    ... the only problem I see is the spinning reel seems to promote line memery in heavier lines 8# and above.
    ... I think line memory has more to do with the line than the reel. And for crappie fishing, do you really need to go heavier than 8# line?

Post Thanks / Like

Spinning reels rock! That's all I use.
    My guide friends call them eggbeaters... but I don't care!

Try a supple line - Suffix Siege Neon Tangerine- Strong and flexible... and BRIGHT
    Pro Angler Tackle Lures

Post Thanks / Like

I like and only use spinning reels and for crappie I use mostly 6 pound line.

Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk
    RESPECT THE LAND AS WELL AS THE GAME YOU HUNT!

"Life is like a coin, you can spend it any way you wish but you can only spend it once"

Post Thanks / Like

i use power pro braid with a spinning reel i have. the reasion alot of people like the bait caster reels cuz they use the mini bait caster reels cuz there lighter for dipping trees. and for rigging i think its cuz they can hold more line and balances out a 14ft rod better
    If she only knew how much a fish cost me

Post Thanks / Like

Hi donj-
    I'm just a little bit ahead of you, after having bought my first baitcasting set-up. I've always used spinning reels up to now. My motivation was the same as yours: I just want to learn what it's like.

I won't be able to test it out for a couple of months since I'm in the frozen upper midwest.

Post Thanks / Like

Over the years I have used both. When chasing bass I mainly used spinning even though most of my buddies were using baitcasters. I was more precise with my spinning set ups. When fishing deep sea in the gulf of Alaska for several years it was pure baitcaster heavy duty Penn reels and nothing else. Now that I am getting into crappie I went pure baitcaster mainly because I am using braided line and it holds more line.

Post Thanks / Like

I tend to get a birds nest just about every time I use a baitcaster, just gets annoying. But I do need to practice at it alot to get the hang of it. I'll always use spinning reels.
    Roll Tide Roll

Post Thanks / Like

I would not even consider a baitcaster for baits under 1/4 oz.

Post Thanks / Like

I was wondering the samething. I've got to buy 6 reels. I am going to be longlineing and spider rigging. I use spinning to cast. I was thinking that having to open the bail to let out line would be a pain.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast