Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Meramec?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Meramec?

does anyone fish the lower Meramec? Is it safe to fish out of a 14 foot aluminum/outboard rig? What's the best part of the river for fishing?

Post Thanks / Like

I live in Arnold, Mo, about 10 minutes from home to Winter Park, where I put in. There is a launch fee on weekends. Your rig should be fine. When you launch, be careful. Some of the area has silted in and water isn't very deep. Once you get out into the river, not much problem. I've done best with crappie from mid March to early May when the water is up. Use minnows or jigs. You can buy minnows at Denny Dennis in Fenton, about 5 minutes from Winter Park. (Oh, and watch out for the Asian Carp ... those guys are jumping all over the place! ) Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

How much is the launching fee?

Not many lakes to fish around here. I fished lakes only when i lived in mississippi. Since I've been up here, I noticed there are no docks on the river boat ramps. How would I launch a boat if I was fishing by myself?

Post Thanks / Like

Last spring I caught a bunch of Crappie in the brush at George Winter. No monsters but it was close and fun.

Post Thanks / Like

any docks on the Meramac would probably end up down by New Orleans after the first flood. The rivers can get wild around here.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brettmc View Post
    Not many lakes to fish around here. I fished lakes only when i lived in mississippi. Since I've been up here, I noticed there are no docks on the river boat ramps. How would I launch a boat if I was fishing by myself?
    Used to watch my dad do it all the time on the big river (Mississippi) when I was too little to help him.......... tie the bow rope off on one of your vertical guides on the trailer, drop it in and let it float off, put the truck in park and then go pull your boat off to one side of the ramp and either beach it or tie it off.

Make sure you tie a good knot on your guide, otherwise you might have to swim!

U

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the info. Anybody else have any Meramec info?