Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boat question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Boat question

I appologize if this is in the wrong forum, but I have a question about my boat. I have a 2001 tracker pro deep v boat with a 50 horse tracker motor. I started noticing a problem last summer and wasn't sure if any of you could give me a start in the right direction to fix it. It starts right up like a champ. It idles just fine too. When I give it throttle, it will get up on plane just fine. However, after a while, sometimes 5 minutes, and sometimes 10 or so, it will just sort of "bog down". It is still throttled, but it will lose speed to maybe 10mph and feel like I'm dragging a couple of wind socks. If I push the button on the throttle that disengages the prop, it will let me rev it up just fine, but then when I engage the prop, it just "bogs down" again. Any idea what is happening? It's like it only does it when there is a load on it, and it will not go any faster than 10mph or so. Help? thanks.

keeferfish is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Fuel pump maybe? Had a similar issue, only bog down under a load.

Post Thanks / Like

Locate the fuel filter and change it and then give it a try.

Post Thanks / Like

fuel filter would be a good and easy and cheap place to start, if you aren't wanting to take it to a mechanic.........
    A FISH IN THE PAN IS WORTH TWO IN THE LAKE

Post Thanks / Like

I know squat about repairing outboards but think the other guys may be on the right track, sounds like a restricted fuel flow possibly. Next time it happens check your fuel bulb to see if it's collapsing or loosing firmness. Deteriorating or old fuel lines or bulbs cause a good number of issues these days unfortunately.

Post Thanks / Like

It's definitely a fuel problem. as others mentions fuel filter is the place to start. Slight chance it could be an intermintent jet valve/needle valve (terminology??) type problem. I would also run some sea foam thru it. Good Luck.
    Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

I'd consider adding some seafoam to your gas for good measure. I add it every time I gas up.

Post Thanks / Like

I would replace all your fuel line, especially if you don't use and additive if you run ethanol gas! If you do, replace the lines and add Seafoam or Marine Stabil and go from there. To me that would be a little cheaper and easier that starting with the fuel pump. Ethanol plays he?? on plastic!

Post Thanks / Like

Had the very same problem with my Yamaha. Took it to the shop and they checked this and that....Put it in the tank and it ran perfect. Next time out did the sane thing. Mechanic said he would meet me at the lake and take a look. Of Coarse It ran perfect for 30 min. Then finally messed up. He brought all kinds of tools and things with him and checked it out on the water. Went back to ramp and he had the part to fix it. Not sure what it was.....maybe about a 3 inch square little box he put on. You can tell I know nothing about boat motors. Has ran great ever since. Not sure if this helps any.....But good luck.
    I just KNOW it was a big one!!!
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a fuel issue.
    Check the filter first. Normally a clogged filter will bog down from the get go, but it's a good place to start.
    Very possible ethanol has weekended the fuel line. Could be as the fuel line gets warm it collapses, restricting fuel.

Could also be the high end on the power pack slips into low power mode after it gets warm. Hopefully just a fuel issue though.

May want to check the mechnical board on the main forum.
    Another good place to look is Iboats.com for similar issues in the forum.

Be sure to Let us know when you get it worked out and what it was.
    Standing in the Gap

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast