Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Pappy H

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pappy H

A February Fishing Report

Still amazed that Smithville lake is opened. Today was cold, but wind was relatively low. I really questioned if I should head to the lake, but my fishing buddy and I remembered fishing a tournament at Lake Ozarks in high wind and snow mixed with freezing rain. Thanks to some local information we happened to come upon, we won the darned thing with a full bag of big crappie. This weather was nothing compared to that, and the upcoming forecast this week was not so good, so we hit Smithville around noon.

Tried fishing vertical after finding schooling shad and structure. Not much happened. Then we tried backing off the shad and casting well over where we thought the shad were schooling with double 1/8 oz. jigs and road runners, trying to keep the retrieve between 15-18' deep in 25 ft. of water. The first cast yielded a nice 11" crappie. Little did we know at that time, that this crappie would be let loose to make room for 12"-14" and even a couple of 15" crappie. Dave & I limited with a load of slabs that dreams are made of.

We caught around 75 fish today. Most of what we returned to the lake were 10"-11" crappie. It almost made us sick to throw these fish back! Many days we would have paid to catch 10"-11" fish. Since I am fairly new to this site, I have not quite perfected posting pictures yet, but we took several. Only two other boats were on the lake today. One boat was calling geese, the other one was Brushman. Rodney joined us for awhile and then headed to another place where he had some luck as well.

Where were we? If you read closely, I gave you a good hint. Can't believe this happend in February. Good Fishing to you, Pappy H

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a fun day. Congrats.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the post. You should also post this on the MO board. Where having a get together next Thur in North KC. Should come and meet some of the guys.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    Always shoot for the moon, if you miss you'll still be among the stars.