Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crappie rod and reel help

Post Thanks / Like

Question Crappie rod and reel help

im looking to get a 12 ft pole to jig pads with instead of my 10'6" pole. I want to get a 12' good for jigging and either spinning or spincast/baitcast set up, i already have good trolling rods.
    also, what is a good crappie fishing baitcaster, ive tried the little 10 or 15 dollar ones but they dont get my nod.

thanks guys!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Bnm sams super sensitive or a Bnm bucks gold jig pole. Check out Home
    Blakemore/Roadrunner pro staff
    Southern Pro Tackle/ Pro Staff
    Driftmaster Rodholders
    Ranger Boats

Post Thanks / Like

Sam Heaton or bucks ultralight. The best mini bait caster on the market, the new grizzly g-5000, star drag, level wind, bout 20$
    I clever quip fishing ironic statement crappie!

Post Thanks / Like

i have the bnm crappie wizard,wallymarshal and sam heaton all 12 foot.i thank the san heaton is more sensitive and lighter the best rod ever used.every price i have found is 69.99 but at grizzly jig it is 59.99

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks fellas,
    i like to use baitcasters but havent tried them too much for crappie.
    Do you guys prefer baitcasters or spinning reels when you fish brush and shallow pads?
    Just wonderin if you guys think its worth getting a baitcaster reel...

Post Thanks / Like

Mr crappie slab shaker
    CarDen Lawn Care and Maintenance
    www.cardenlawncare.com
    Cell (870) 329-4675

Post Thanks / Like

x2 on the slab shaker bought my boy one and might have to start using it when he is not around. i really like the feel of it

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't really want to use a baitcaster on a 12ft jigging rod. The added weight at the handle, and fishing the rod in an "upside down" position, seems to me to run counter to what you're trying to do ... which is one hand a rod/reel for an extended period of holding time. I'd be more inclined to look at something like a Shimano AX-ULSA FB spinning reel. At 5.6oz ... 18" of line retrieve per handle turn ... 60yds/6lb test mono or 65yds/10lb test PowerPro capacity ... and a ~$20 price tag --- it would serve the purpose.

If you wanted a reel with a "trigger" ... for ~ $10 more you can get a Shimano Syncopate FG. Or if you don't want a trigger type reel, and wanted a rear drag system ... for the same money you could get a Shimano Sienna RD. The Syncopate is 2oz heavier than the AX, and the Sienna is 0.7oz heavier than the Syncopate.

The weight of the reel is very important ... IF the rod has a fixed reel seat. If it's a Tenn style handle, you can move the reel around on the handle to get a balanced outfit ... whereas a fixed reel seat would require a specific weight reel to get a good balance. The importance of a balanced outfit, that you're going to be holding & manipulating with one hand/wrist/arm, is paramount to having a good experience with that outfit. An unbalanced outfit, if tip heavy, is going to wear on your wrist/arm, as you have to use them to keep the rod level. If it's butt heavy, it's going to weigh on your hand (grip) and arm. A balanced outfit just seems to become an extension of your arm/hand/wrist, and doesn't require the extra effort of your arm/hand/wrist to counteract the weight distribution.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I was suggesting a mini bait caster, but A high end model, lower profile and just as light as a spinning reel, but much easier to handle, transport, and tougher. Full size bait casters are great on rear reel seat 12 fters, good balance but still low profile and virtually indestructible. Not only does a balance rod keep the pressure on your bicep instead of the top of your forearm, your hook set is faster also.
    I clever quip fishing ironic statement crappie!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast