Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have experience with slip-on (easy-on) slip bobbers?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anyone have experience with slip-on (easy-on) slip bobbers?

My rods need to do triple duty: trolling, casting and slip-bobbering. But having to re-rig every time I want to change from slip bobber to non-bobber (and vice versa) is a pain.

So I did a little research on slip-on (or easy-on) slip bobbers, where you don't have to do much re-rigging...but the reviews were so-so. See Cabela's Easy-On Slip Bobbers, Floats & Stops, Terminal Tackle, Fishing : Cabela's as an example.

Do you have any recommendations for easy-on, easy-off slip bobbers? If so, it will change my life!

Post Thanks / Like

Havent used that one but the profile makes it seem like itll be hard to detect shy bites.

I use thill. Any of the thill bobbers with the small hole at the bottom can be easily attached or removed using a swivel clip...

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1328742197.211296.jpg
Views: 4324
Size:  15.3 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Savage -- that's a very interesting idea. I considered making a waggler? float (discussed in a previous thread where someone was having trouble using a slip float with really light jigs).

I checked my float supply and didn't see any holes, but I figured I could put a snap-swivel on a spring float as below

I don't mind having a stopper knot and a couple of beads permanently on the rig; when not in use I can just slide the stopper down to my jig and the beads will act as an attractant. I'm a little worried about line abrasion from the line running through the metal snap...but we'll have to see how that goes.

The other drawback is that it probably won't lay over on its side while the bait is either falling or on the bottom (due to the weight of the swivel and the pressure of the line pulling through the bottom) . Not sure what will happen with a light bite.

Other ideas are very welcome!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

get the 3" cigar with a slit in it cheap and work great

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Savage270 View Post
    Havent used that one but the profile makes it seem like itll be hard to detect shy bites.

I use thill. Any of the thill bobbers with the small hole at the bottom can be easily attached or removed using a swivel clip...

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1328742197.211296.jpg
Views: 4324
Size:  15.3 KB
    Could you please provide a picture of the Thill Waggler with a swivel clip attached? I can't figure out how the bobber stop would work. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

I use a very small (forgot the size (12 maybe) smallest I can find) snap swivel thats attached to my main line. The reason is because I do not like to use a bead between the float and the bobber stop. The small diameter of the snap swivel will stop at the bobber stop so no need for the bead. The small swivel also allows me to just unsnap the bobber and switch to a larger bobber or if I want to tight line then I just remove the bobber and slide the bobber stop all the way down to the swivel on the main line leaving the snap swivel attached (its so small that it doesn't get in the way.

I am out of town and do not have all my tackle so I drew a picture. Hope it helps.

The dime is there to show you the size of the thill I got. The jigs I use with this is a 1/16 oz with NO added weight. The swivel stands perfectly like this. I never add extra split shots to my crappie rigs because I want the bobber to bob UP and lay flat if a fish comes up with the bait (they dont always pull down like bream or bass)

Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 5422
Size:  20.3 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Savage, That looks like a great idea for slip bobber setup. I'm gonna have to get me some thill's and give
    it a try. Thank you sir.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

You might want to look at this thread and see my Waggler style slip bobbers drawing. When I want it on it easily attaches to the snap swivel. If I want to add or subtract weight I will add or subtract bell singers to the snap swivel. If I do not want a float I just.take it off the snap swivel. I never have to re-rig to try something new.

The photo is on page 5 of the thread.

Here is the thread. http://www.crappie.com/crappie/main-...bber-info.html
    Last edited by shipahoy41; 02-09-2012 at 09:31 AM.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shipahoy41 View Post
    You might want to look at this thread and see my Waggler style slip bobbers drawing. When I want it on it easily attaches to the snap swivel. If I want to add or subtract weight I will add or subtract bell singers to the snap swivel. If I do not want a float I just.take it off the snap swivel. I never have to re-rig to try something new.

The photo is on page 5 of the thread.

Here is the thread. http://www.crappie.com/crappie/main-...bber-info.html
    Here is Ship's photo of a cool idea
    Name:  MyWagglerFloat.jpg
Views: 17182
Size:  54.5 KB

Savage has a neat idea too. I'm a little concerned about the swivel remaining on the line all the time but I guess it shouldn't matter if it's small enough.

Question for Ship: is the weight you've added to the side in order to make it lay over on light bites or while the jig is falling/on bottom?

Post Thanks / Like

Thill bobbers has a newer version of slip bobbers. They come with a black plastic sleeve that slides down the small hole. You can fish these as a fixed bobber or a slider. I don't have a pic of them but, Bass Pro sells them. They are called a elite or deluxe Thill bobber. Dan Gapen's sell them too. I bought one from his daughter at a sport show in Michigan. Bobber Ann. They are more money but really nice bobbers. No swivels, beads, just a stop are your line. Gapen's bobbers have a fiberglass stem & will hold up a lot better then the balsa wood. Just a thought if you want to purchase some new bobbers. There about $3.00 a piece.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast