Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Looking for opinions again!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Looking for opinions again!

I have been looking at the Cabelas Proline line. Just curious if anyone has used this line before and if they liked it or not. I was looking at the copolymer line but since I have never used copolymer before of any brand I really have no clue what to expect. Looking for a line with little memory for a spinning outfit, I tried braided line and it just isn't for me- took it off after the first trip. I fish about 4-5 days a week and am looking for a line that I won't have to change every week or so. Thanks in advance and good fishing!
    Don't take life so seriously, no one lives through it anyhow!!

Post Thanks / Like

Try P-Line CXX in the Flour. green.Awesome line and its toughas nails.Wont get all nicked up when dipping brush,small diameter with little memory.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb MoSam ...

what braid did you try, and what did you not like about it ??

I use PowerPro 10/2 .... and the only thing I have against it, is that it is so limp and light that it blows very easily in any appreciable wind. I tried it on an ultralight rod/reel ... but the rod has solid metal guides, and the line "sings" when reeling (makes a buzzing sound when coming across the metal guides). I found this to be annoying, and stopped using it on that particular outfit. I now use it on what is, basically, a med action Bass outfit - 6ft Browning/Lews rod with Shimano Spirex 2000 reel. I use this outfit to cast Roadrunners, mostly ... but do, on occasion, use it to shoot docks, with jigs. The rod has ceramic guides, and there is little to no "singing/buzzing" sound present. I use the Improved Clinch Knot on PowerPro, and it has not slipped loose or failed me. The line on the reel has been there for over a year, and though faded somewhat, does not appear to be in need of replacement. It casts very well, and because of it's "no stretch" quality (added to the stiffer action of the rod) ... I barely have to set the hook to insure a good hookup. I have the drag set light enough to slip, should I forget which outfit I had in hand, and set the hook with too much "authority" :D

Soft mono lines are, overall, best for spinning reels ... especially UL's (IMHO). Flurocarbons & some co-polymer lines, because they are manufactured to be abrasion resistant and have little or no stretch, can be too "stiff" to use on UL spinning reels. The small diameter of the line arbor winds the line in small coils, which makes the line prone to "jumping off" the line spool in wads. If you don't want/need a colored (hi-vis) line, you might want to try BPS Excel mono (clear/blu) ... it's cheap enough, in bulk spools, to replace your lines often ... should the need arise. And it's a decent line ... comparable to "premium brand name" lines. Trilene XL is a fairly decent line, as well. I'm also a fan of Trilene Premium Photochromic (amber colored) mono.

Is there a "no muss no fuss", limp yet strong, abrasion resistant yet supple mono out there, that is perfect for spinning tackle ? If there is .. I ain't found it. They all have their quirks, and pros & cons. It's the dynamics of the spinning reel, itself, that's the main problem (IMHO). By its design and function, it coils (twists) and uncoils the line. It's because of the function of the "bail", that the twisting occurs. Until someone invents a spinning reel that functions opposite to the current design, we are all subject to this problem. And by "opposite to the current design" ... I mean a spinning reel that the bail remains static (except to open to release line), and the spool/arbor rotates (to collect line) and moves forward and back (to layer line smoothly, back on the line spool). But ... would it still be called a "spinning" reel .... LOL!!

As stated - these are just my opinions ....... take them for what they're worth ........ luck2ya ..... cp

Post Thanks / Like

crappiepappy- the braid I tried was Spiderwire stealth 2/10. What I didn't like about it was it kept tying itself in little loop knots about every other cast or so, I though maybe I twisted it when I installed it so i let the line out behind the boat retrieved it and tried again same results only this time it kept wrapping itself around the last guide on the rod tip. By that time I had had enough and switched back to Stren, but Stren has alot of memory I think and I change it every 3rd trip to the lake or so. Just looking for something better, if it exists!

Thanks again
    Don't take life so seriously, no one lives through it anyhow!!

Post Thanks / Like

mosam,

that's the reason I jumped ship on the braided lines...Kept wrapping itself around the tip. The 2lb diameter is so small, the water between the tip and the line is heavy enough to draw the line up against the pole/tip and as soon as you move the pole, it wraps...It made me so mad that I swore when I got the Hi Vis Gold back on there I would never switch again. and haven't .I got a 100 yard spool of the 2 pound diameter sittin here is anyone wants it.

Post Thanks / Like

I personally enjoy Fireline but still use Mono.I recently started using a product that is a line and lure conditioner that you spray onto last years full spool.The first application you let dry completely,than reapply as needed.Works wonders.It gets rid of line memory,backlash, tangles, and twists and conditions it.I've treated all my poles this year with incredible resultsThis stuff also let's you cast 25-30 percent farther.Some great tips in this thread.
    Last edited by CrappieMagnet; 04-27-2006 at 12:14 PM.
    CrappieMagnet

Post Thanks / Like

sounds interesting...

I just vertical jig fish...No minners, no niblets, no spray, no dips, no tips, no nothing...just a skirt and a weighted jighead (and the weight of the head will have been based upon "finding what they wanted" in terms of presentation speed, etc.)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie Pappy and line

CP - you've got the line on the line. A very informative disection. I've used several lines. I was Stren fan for years, now (for reasons unknown to me and more habit than anything) I've been using Trilene XL 6-8 lb. test for years. For most of my life I used spin cast reels. Garcia AbuMatics to be exact. Loved them. Caught big and little fish. Never a problem I can remember. Then about three years ago on a trout fishing trip on the White River here in Arkansas I broke my rod. Purchased a combo spinning outfit at the Gaston's gift shop. Fell in love with the touch and feel of the spinning reel and rod and have been using spinning outfits ever since. BUT - never a fishing trip goes by I don't have some dang problem...coiling off the spool, tangles, wads of line that somehow supernaturally find their way through the rod guides and down the pole.

These problems happen unexpectedly. No warning. One cast it's perfect. The next, my wife is laughing at me -- she being a spin cast maven.

Doubt I'll switch back, but your description of the spinning reel that work in opposite fashion sounds much like...well...the Garcia ABUMatics I forsook several years ago.

Thanks to all for all the posts. Lean something new everyday.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Try Tectan, also available from Cabela's. It's diameter-to-strength ration is outstanding. I just got a spool of the 9.2# Tectan -- same diameter as most 4#.

It's also very limp, perfect for spinning reels.