Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Ideal spinnerbait rod?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ideal spinnerbait rod?

After doing some research and reading a lot about using spinnerbaits and buzzbaits, I am thinking that the Abu Garcia rod i have may be what i can use for them. I have heard a lot of talk about using a 7' rod, Medium Heavy, but most importantly a fast action tip.

Which is exactly what i have, but i used it mostly for catfishing since it was a very sturdy rod. I would like to hear others from this board give their input on what kind of rods they use for spinnerbaits, not the inline spinners.

I am also going to start practicing tying the Palomar knot, as it seems that is the most popular kind of knot to tie spinnerbaits on.

Another reason why spinnerbaits may not have been working for me is that the wire angle might be too close. As i normally left it at its 45 degree angle, i have seen some underwater shots where its actually bent more at a 90 degree angle. Now this just might be a colorado blade spinnerbait, but it seems to me that blade should spin parallel with the water and the bait actually hangs down. Like so...

This is how i thought the colorado spinnerbait should look in the water before...

My assumption of how it is suppose to look in the water

I would imagine the same thing applies to willowleaf blades and indiana blades as well. but feel free to correct me if i am wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

the blade should paralell the hook like in the first pic.. the hook and shaft of spinner bait should be inline and it will run strait and not rollover. i use a 7' rod in open water when i want to make long cast. i use a 6'6" when casting around cover for better acurracy.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info Frank, guess I'll keep working with them until i catch something. Least I'll be using the right kind of rod.