Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking to Buy A Good Ultralight Rod And Reel

Post Thanks / Like

Default Looking to Buy A Good Ultralight Rod And Reel

I'm tired of trying to get by with Wal-Mart Graphite rods. Right now I'm trying to cast jigs on a 6'6" Microcast Graphite. I'm using 6 lb Trilene XL. I know I was getting bites all morning but was mistaking them for the bottom. I need a real good, 7 foot Ultralight and a matching good quality reel. I'm not talking too expensive but I'm ready to spend 100 to 150 for it.
    I also need a few suggestions on line sizes, colors, flourocarbon, braid ect.
    I want to get a few ideas before I buy. The rod I have now seems to be a good set-up for cork and jig casting.
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

Try a 7ft bass pro micro-light with the reel of your choice. Price on the rod isn't bad, I have two and like them pretty well. I like the pfluger president and the superior which is lighter, coupled with hi-vis 4lb viscious.
    Waterboy1

Post Thanks / Like

A 7 foot BnM super sensitive Sam Heaton rod is $40 at Grizzly jig. Match it with your favorite UL spinning reel.

I got my son this rod for Christmas. He loved it. Had to try it myself, liked it so much, bought myself one. He's got a little Zebco 33 Gold on his, I have a little Quantum on mine.

Post Thanks / Like

I use BnM's 7.5' Crappie wizards with shimano spinning reels. The pole is GREAT for crappie. It has a light action tip that helps you feel the bite, yet it has a strong enough backbone to allow you to real in the biggest of crappie. So if you accidentally catch something else of some size, it won't snap your pole. I also use the high-vis yellow Vicious line, only in 6 lb. I have tried some flourocarbon lines and don't care much for them. Don't get me wrong they have their advantages, but I have tried the Berkely Transitions flourocarbon and was a great line, new. After about two months of fishing once a week, the line wwould break just trying to sinch an knot on the hook. For what it costs, I'm not going to replace my line every month or two when the Vicious mono seems to have great durability

Post Thanks / Like

I have the micro lite rods from Bass pro in 7', 8.5' and last week bought a 9.5 ft. The 9.5' and new shimano reel I bought that day were about $120 total. Side note though going to that long of rod I had to buy the weight balancing kit to add to back of rod, had them put reel on and check balance before I bought them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by waterboy1 View Post
    Try a 7ft bass pro micro-light with the reel of your choice. Price on the rod isn't bad, I have two and like them pretty well. I like the pfluger president and the superior which is lighter, coupled with hi-vis 4lb viscious.
    x2 those are darn good rods i got a 5ft i bin using for 15 or 20 years and i got a 7.5 coming in the mail should have it today.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by travish10 View Post
    I use BnM's 7.5' Crappie wizards with shimano spinning reels. The pole is GREAT for crappie. It has a light action tip that helps you feel the bite, yet it has a strong enough backbone to allow you to real in the biggest of crappie. So if you accidentally catch something else of some size, it won't snap your pole. I also use the high-vis yellow Vicious line, only in 6 lb. I have tried some flourocarbon lines and don't care much for them. Don't get me wrong they have their advantages, but I have tried the Berkely Transitions flourocarbon and was a great line, new. After about two months of fishing once a week, the line wwould break just trying to sinch an knot on the hook. For what it costs, I'm not going to replace my line every month or two when the Vicious mono seems to have great durability
    That is my setup also. The only difference is I ain't caught a fish on my new wizard and shimano sedona yet . Late last fall I ordered a pole from Grizzly (forget which one) and they were out of stock, one of the guys called me at work to find out what I wanted to do. Told him how I fish and he recommended the Crappie Wizard. By the time I got my new reel my campground was closed and my boat out of the water. Went fishin' one day in Dec. and not one of us got a fish. But i just received another wizard and sedona so now I got 2 brand new rigs that I am takin' to Florida friday mornin' for a week. Can't wait to boat some specks with my new toys.

Hi-vis Vicious is all I use also.

I only fish The Coon cause that's where I keep my toon.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slabbandit View Post
    I'm ready to spend 100 to 150 for it.
    In that price range, here are two options:

1) St. Croix Premier
    2) Temple Forks Outfitters (designed by Gary Loomis)

If you're willing to spend a little more, the St. Croix Avids are awesome rods. You should be able to get one for around $170.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

For what it's worth, my recommendation would be this rod : E70PLS 7' Power Lite Rod | Shop | ESP™ High Performance Ultra Light Rods by Norsemen Outdoors matched with a Shimano reel (model depends on what features you want, & what price you're willing to pay).

You WON'T be using this rod for slip float fishing, as these rods have micro guides/tip ... and they're not conducive to most bobber stoppers. But, for straight up casting ... they're great !!

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Ugly stik the only thing there breaking is records
    CarDen Lawn Care and Maintenance
    www.cardenlawncare.com
    Cell (870) 329-4675

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast