Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody ever use flags to attract crappie?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anybody ever use flags to attract crappie?

Years ago when I was a kid and first starting out crappie fishing,we used to use old auto dealership flags.Like the ones they used for sales.Well my grandparents used to tie an old Hilex bottle on one end, and an old window weight on the other using strong rope to hold it into place.Sometimes he had two bottles attached for flotation.Grandpa used to locate an area where he would like to place the flags(usually a corner of a bay,or a distinct dropoff),drop it there and we would come back hours later, to cast around the Hilex bottle.We'd count down to 5 and before we hit 5, we usually caught one before hitting the count.You talk about crappies and bluegills galore.

Here's a pic of the flags they used to use,except the ones Grandpa used had orange,green and yellow flags too.

Have any of you used these before and are they still legal?
    I know we can't use them here in Minnesota.How bout your state?
    Last edited by CrappieMagnet; 04-26-2006 at 06:25 PM.
    CrappieMagnet

Post Thanks / Like

I am 51 and its the first I have ever seen or heard of this. It may work, then it may not. First thing, nowdays it might be hard to find these flags. Kind of oldfashion for nowdays car dealers right?

Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking about all the crappie stake beds posted.Maybe this could also aide in the attraction besides the PVC uprights.All I know is we used to catch limits upon limits using this trick.We always brought back fish to clean.Grandpa always seemed to be secretive about who was around when he dropped these in his locations,and secretive when picking them up.Maybe he too had cribs??Guess I never had the B**@Z enough to ask him.

Those flags are still around.I see them from time to time.
    Last edited by CrappieMagnet; 04-26-2006 at 10:23 PM.
    CrappieMagnet

Post Thanks / Like

lighter than concrete good post makes you think
    [never snap at the hand that feeds ya

Post Thanks / Like

I've never heard of that either..But they did make an interesting noise when they blew in the wind..I too remember the flags and they seemed to set off an excitement when we were around them...I have recently thought about these flags because of the noise they made..I enjoyed just standing near the action..What they would do under water,,I have know idea unless it was because they would move freely in water and create a vibration and flash. Crappie from my understanding are attracted to noise and flash. Could the movement had a possible effect? Guess we'll never know.......

Post Thanks / Like

I read a tip about this a while back. I don't remember the source. I read that the pennants work good for bluegill. It also said to use the brightest colored pennants, so I'm guessing that the colors have something to do with attracting the fish. I've never heard of it working on crappie, though.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe Gramps read the same book.Somebody else probably knows about those cool tricks on catching them too.I know up here,we don't see those old steel barrel diving/sunning deck platforms.They too used to attract lotsa crappies and gills when noone used them.
    In some lakes up here in Minnesota,lakeshore owners would leave their old docks and pontoon lifts in the water.They can be great fish attractors also,especially the ones with horizontal boards barely touching the surface,and on the windward side.Great places to skip tubes,or longpoling them,and pitching creature baits under boards, or banging the poles ever so slightly,slammin' the crops time after time.Gotta keep the baits moving,with a pause every so often though.
    Maybe the thing to do is tie them pennants to the PVC to attract the fish and not other fisherman.Probably worth investigating and probably will have good results.There's gotta be a supplier,or some novelty stores might have them.They can't be that expensive.
    CrappieMagnet

Post Thanks / Like

good idea, should work...

Post Thanks / Like

oh i still see them at car dealships...

Why not just leave some of the leaves on Bamboo, Oak, etc and that should mimic the same thing. I'm into building each of my condo's as cheap yet efficiently as possible...Most bang for my buck so to speak.

I'm sure you can find them on the internet but I doubt they will be cheap.

Post Thanks / Like

CrappieMagnet, are you saying your Grandpa dropped them vertical so just the bottles were visible? I am always interested in trying things. How deep do you think (how long of a streamer of banners) did you use? Did you tie(tape) the banners to the rope for strength? Hope you can answer some of this information. Good Fishing.
    But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast