Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: River Otters know how to fish (Cool Pictures taken at Muscatutuck NWR in Indiana.)

Post Thanks / Like

Cool River Otters know how to fish (Cool Pictures taken at Muscatutuck NWR in Indiana.)

I live 10 miles from the 160,000 acre Kentucky Lake, and the 57,000 acre Barkley Lake is within 25 miles of my house. I live 10 miles from 220,000 acres of Water.

I live in an Outdoor Paradise

barrelslime is offline Moderator White Bass/Striper/Hybrid Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Personal Best 17 1/2"
    " Let us endeavor so to live, that when we come to die, even the undertaker will be sorry." Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like

I saw a mom and two half-grown babies on Barkley 4-5 years ago. I watched them for awhile and then moved across the bay and went back to fishing. About 30 minutes later I heard them raising a fuss on the far bank so I eased over with my trolling motor so I wouldn't spook them.

They had a carp of about 3 lbs. on the bank and the little ones were eating it. The mom was standing guard between their meal and a blue heron who wanted in the action. I don't know what she was saying but the blue heron didn't try her. The heron left when I got too close. Seeing the river otters definitely made my day. Beautiful!

Post Thanks / Like

Those pictures were taken in my back yard, well, probably not the one with the crappie in his face. I was hunting ducks a couple of years ago when a group of six otters swims into our decoy spread. Five of them formed a circle around one of the decoys off by itself. They started hissing and bobbing up and down as if trying to distract the would be duck. All of the sudden the missing otter came from underneath and hammered the decoy!

Cute and cuddly...I think not.

Post Thanks / Like

Those are very cool photos!!

Post Thanks / Like

great pics
    The two best times to fish (when it's raining & when it aint). Proud member of team GitDaFeeshGrease

barrelslime is offline Moderator White Bass/Striper/Hybrid Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I know they are destructive, but I also had the fortune to view a family of otters at Reelfoot lake some years ago and they are very interesting critters.
    Personal Best 17 1/2"
    " Let us endeavor so to live, that when we come to die, even the undertaker will be sorry." Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like

We don't run into very many otters in Nebraska, pretty sure they were deemed endangered in 1986 and Nebraska has been trying to bring back the population ever since, mostly in Western Nebraska, but a few have made their way to the Missouri River. We mostly have to deal with beavers and muskrats.

I caught a 16" largemouth bass at a local lake, 2 days later in the same spot where i caught it, i could've swore i saw the same bass half-eaten lying up along the shore.

I couldn't take it home for supper, but a muskrat in the lake sure had a good feast.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=ChrisCarter;1792796] We mostly have to deal with beavers and muskrats. [/QUOTE

Hey what do ya mean by that Chris?? EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

We had two in our pond last year and they cleaned me out of fish. I haven't somuch as seen a stunted bluegill in it since I had the state come trap them out of there. I am humbled as an angler.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast