Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question from a Newbie.............

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question from a Newbie.............

New to crappie fishing. Having a little luck but trouble with 2 main things.....
    remember im a newbie...........
    I Use a bobber
    1)I can never get my line tight. After I cast out and reel in a little, theres always to much slack.
    2)I get a lot of bites, but land very few. How hard do you set the hook? Im just flipping the rod back with my wrists.

Thanks
    GO BENGALS!

Post Thanks / Like

Be sure not cast too far. If you are trying to get out further get a longer rod or jig pole.
    Dont jerk back like the guys on TV. Crappie are called papaer mouths for a reason. a good example would be: if your rod is in a rod holder and you see the bobber move, the motion f picking your rod out of the holder should set the hook. A flip of the wrist should do it, you might be using a big hook or dull hooks!

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink a couple of "suggestions" ...

cast the bobber rig out .... and slowly reel it back in - this will help keep the line tight, cover more water, and keep the bait moving (which is sometimes a key factor).

If letting the bobber rig sit in one place - when bobber starts going down ... start reeling first, then set the hook when the rod tip starts to bend. This will take care of the slack line problem.

How hard you set the hook depends on the rod (length/action), distance the bobber is away from the rod tip (line stretch), type of line used (mono stretches - braid don't). Setting the hook with slack line only causes lost fish ... setting the hook with "speed" rather than "power" will drive the hook home (as long as the line is taught, and not slack).

Wrist snap hooksets are fine when using plain hooks & tightlining, or bobber fishing short distances ..... but, the farther away the bobber or bait, the more pronounced the hookset should be (to offset the slack & line stretch). A longer rod would help, in that regard .... but, reeling in the slack before setting the hook (with a shorter rod) will compensate for that. ........ luck2ya ..... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Casting crosswind could keep a big bow in your line. Try casting into or with the wind. Just a thought.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with what Pappy says about the slack. I would also suggest changing your line to 6lb test or smaller. New line is always a great improvement. It's kind of like how a race car driver changes his tires to get that extra edge. I change the line on all my setups at least 6 times a year, or as they need it. Try to use a line with low memory. It will help keep some slack out while using a bobber. When you see that you are getting a bite, reel up the slack as fast as you can while NOT moving the bobber. Allow the bobber to go completely under, then set that sucker. Don't be discouraged if you miss, it happens to all of us who use bobbers. Using a slip bobber will help somewhat. The reaction of the line while setting the hook is a hair faster in my opinion. If you are in a boat, anchor off to where your bobbers are downwind of the boat, this helps quite a bit, and allows you to fish more than one rod without constantly having to adjust their locations. Good Luck, and keep the questions coming.
    Last edited by Crappie Reaper; 04-27-2006 at 04:37 AM.
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys for all the input! Right now Im using a 4 pound test line. I dont understand the term tightlining. This is how it usually goes for me.......Ill cast out from the bank, 10-15 feet. Reel it in a little but still have a lot of slack, you can see the line sitting on top of the water all the way to my bobber. Let it sit their for a few minutes. Ill get a bite, try to set the hook, and miss. Reel it in and im baitlesss.
    Last edited by Who-DeyCrappie; 04-27-2006 at 04:44 AM. Reason: added
    GO BENGALS!

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default OOOOH ... bank fishing !!

Quote Originally Posted by Who-DeyCrappie
    Thanks guys for all the input! Right now Im using a 4 pound test line. I dont understand the term tightlining. This is how it usually goes for me.......Ill cast out from the bank, 10-15 feet. Reel it in a little but still have a lot of slack, you can see the line sitting on top of the water all the way to my bobber. Let it sit their for a few minutes. Ill get a bite, try to set the hook, and miss. Reel it in and im baitlesss.

OK .... "tightlining" is a general term that we use to describe "fishing straight down" (no bobber) - normally associated with fishing from a boat (or a stationary platform, like a pier or dock) where you have your rods hanging over the side and the line is straight down from the rod tip. It's also used to describe versions of jig fishing. But, generally it just means "having a tight line" from rod tip to hook.

As far as your current situation (fishing from the bank) ...... you could be the victim of the dreaded "bait stealing Bluegill" :rolleyes: They have the tendancy to grab hold of part of the minnow (or jig) and swim away ... and once feeling the pressure of the bobber, or when you set the hook, release the bait (or you jerk it away from them). Crappie tend to inhale the bait, turn or dive back to their previous position.
    Fishing 10-15ft away from the bank ? How deep are you fishing ? What length rod are you using ? Now it really sounds like "bait stealers" are the culprit. Are you setting the hook at the first indication of a bite (when the bobber first goes under) ?? You might want to wait a few more seconds (reeling in the slack while you wait), if you are.

If you only need to get your bait out, less than 20ft away from the bank, may I suggest that you try using jigs ??!! Cast them out as far as you can .... hold your rod at about a 45deg angle (10-11 o:clock position) ... and reel in very slowly (or as slow as the water depth & submerged cover will allow) ... watch for the line to jump, start moving off to one side or the other, or suddenly go slack (and you know it can't be on the bottom) ... and when that happens -- set the hook with a quick wrist snap, while pulling the reel up and towards your ear (all in the same motion). If there are no submerged obstacles, and the water is fairly deep, a simple open hook jig will work just fine. If there are submerged obstacles ... a weedless jighead may be in order. 1/32oz or 1/16oz jigs should work fine on your 4lb test line & outfit. If you still get bites, but no hookups ..... then small sunfish are the most likely culprits.

Other than that ....... how are you hooking the minnow ? Thru the lips, thru the back, thru the tail, or thru the eye socket ? For casting purposes, or when tipping a jig ..... I run the hook from under the throat and out between the nostrils & eyes. If using a plain open hook ... I hook them thru the eye socket (behind the eyeballs, not thru them). Sunfish can still kill or remove the minnow from either of these rigs ..... but, usually not as easily as when hooked the other ways mentioned. They can also pull the plastic tubes/grubs down onto the shank of the jig hook ... which is why it is sometimes necessary to glue the plastic against the back of the jighead That won't stop them from biting ... but it does keep you from having to reposition the plastics back on the jig, or replace the plastics so often :D And that means you have more time to present your bait to any Crappie lurking about the area :p ........... luck2ya ........ cp

Post Thanks / Like

Try not useing a bobber....Just use a light splitshot weight or no weight and slowly reel it in after you get to your desired depth. You'll bring more fish in bobberless..:p I use a #4 crappie hook and sometime I use a #4 circle hook. The circle hooks require no setting...Circle hooks will set when the fish try to spit it out...Just don't let any slack get in line when reeling in....You'll start catching the big ones, believe me! Go for it!:D

Fishin4Life Guest

This is a great thread. I also am new to crappie fishing (I fished other types of fish) and this thread has been great. The whole message board has been great. Also, It is great to see people on here willing to help. You don't always see people helping and it is good to see it here. Thanks

James

Post Thanks / Like

You could also try using a weighted bobber id you want the bobber to stay in place and keep your line tight. They are styrofoam with a lead weight at the bottom.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast