Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Walleye below low water dam

Post Thanks / Like

Default Walleye below low water dam

The Walleye, Saugeye and Saugers are on fire right now below the riverside drive pedestrian bridge at the low water dam. Most people are skepticle about eating fish from the Arkansas River. Been fishing there for over 20 years and I'm still alive, except my pee glows in the dark. LOL J/K

Post Thanks / Like

CH - how are they being caught? I've never gotten to fish for walleye (or they're cousins), but always wanted to. If you're going to be down there anytime soon, I'd love to come watch to learn how.

Post Thanks / Like

Perch,

I'll inbox you the details and when I'll be out there.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tulsa walleye

I would love to know how to fish below the low water dam for walleye. Are you fishing the west side or off the fishing platform? Jigs? I miss seeing them in my skillet! I fished hawthorn today from daylight to 11a.m. And caught 14 crappie with only 4 keepers over 10 inches. But I may not be a good indicator as I am pretty new to fishing from a boat.I am curious to hear if anyone is doing well on oologah with the water as warm as it is-46.7 degrees today. Am considering changing my handle to " crappie's best friend"

Post Thanks / Like

Default would love to have info on riverside bridge. Cant type in body of reply.

Post Thanks / Like

Its been a few years but I used to stand on the platform and slow crawl white and shad colored jigs along the bottom from the platform. When they are on you can catch a few.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been fishing for them for over 20 years now and pretty much consider myself an expert below the bridge. The best way to catch them is to actually wade out there where they are. Be sure to call (918) 669-7521 for the flow rate of the day for Keystone Lake. I recommend that you DO NOT wade out there if the water is flowing over 1500 CF/Min. I've witnessed people drowning out there because they didnt pay attention to the water flows. The fish usually congregate near eddys or object that break the water flow. When the water temperature drops to around 38 - 40 degrees, they become very active. My best method is to use four inch shallow diving baits like the redfin baits, or 2 inch white grubs with a 1/4 - 1/2 oz red jig head. It's difficult to fish from the balcony because of the wind. They no longer congregate when the water temperature rises back over 55 degrees. Be thoughtful on the quantity. You can only keep 5 per day. This is strictly enforced by the local game ranger. Gomez will be watching you. LOL Good Luck.

PS Dont forget your needle nosed pliers because they have some wicked teeth. Far better tasting than crappie.
    Last edited by Crappie Hog; 02-07-2012 at 01:40 PM.