Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: question about pools

Post Thanks / Like

Default question about pools

Me and my wife are looking into getting an inground pool. We were wondering what the average monthly cost of keeping up a pool is and about how much more it raises your electric bill. We are looking to get about an 18x36 If any of you have pools please feel free to post information and advice. Also if any of you have the salt automatic chlorinating system, how do you like it?

Post Thanks / Like

We got a 25 by 43 oval above ground pool, because when the girls get tired of it, I can throw it away. The chemicals price wise is not bad. Once you get the chemicals right, it's a matter of testing the water and keeping a close watch on it. My electric bill rose quite considerably, maybe 75 to 100 dollars but, I ran our motor 24/7, I'm not this year, I'm going to put it on a timer and let it run maybe 8 or 10 hours a day. Me being an electric motor man, it is best to run your motor 24/7. However, I can repair my own motor.

We have a auto chlorinator, it is good once you get chlorine levels right. Then you can adjust it to keep the chlorine at their proper levels.

I did alot of research on swimming pools before we got this one. My problem in this area I live..gumbo mud... fiberglass liner was not a possibility for us...as long as they have water in them..I hear they are ok..there was a possibilty of them cracking. And for 16k I did not want to chance it.Gunite pools are the way to go for the money,yours probably cost around 25k to 35k ...who knows... maybe much more....So for 7.5k we got this above ground one, but cost me anther 8 k to do deck and alot of other crap I ain't finished yet. There went my new boat I wanted However, I thought it might keep my youngon closer to the house during the summer months

Post Thanks / Like

plus you can practice your jigs good luck with the pool
    [never snap at the hand that feeds ya

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

my soninlaw sales and service pools . the new system they are using isen`t as expensive as the old ones .don`t use all the chemickles that the old ones do . e mail hem at. [email protected]
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

The chlorinating system that I am referring to uses an electric charge to turn the salt into chlorine. They say it is so much easier to use and gets a better mix and the proper amount than using regular chlorine. They say it doesnt burn your eyes or fade your clothes. It is a rather expensive system but the people I have talked to say it pays for itself over time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappieseeker
    The chlorinating system that I am referring to uses an electric charge to turn the salt into chlorine. They say it is so much easier to use and gets a better mix and the proper amount than using regular chlorine. They say it doesnt burn your eyes or fade your clothes. It is a rather expensive system but the people I have talked to say it pays for itself over time.
    Salt water chlorinators are pretty good. You add salt at about a teaspoon a gallon rate to the pool water, and then the chlorinator breaks the chlorine off the salt molecule and lets it work as a sanitizer. When depleted, the reaction reverses and creates salt again and the whole deal starts over. The salt makes the water much less irritating to the eyes. Little or no taste.

As to cost, about a dollar a day for the pump. Don't get talked into an oversized pump. Very few pools need more than 1HP, and many can get by on 3/4HP. Chemicals can be expensive if you buy into what the poolstores try to sell you. Most poolstores will do anything to sell you big dollar pool additives. Go to www.poolforum.com for no-nonsense info on pool chemistry. I use bleach for my chlorine source and probably spend $25 for bleach and muratic acid, and another $25 a year for testing supplies. Sparkling clear water and zero problems.

Post Thanks / Like

We have a 12 x 32 inground pool and I'd just as soon fill it up with dirt. It came with the house we bought. In 6 years, we've had the vinyl liner replaced, put in a new pump, repaired leaks in the system, bought an automatic vacuum, and now this year it's new gaskets and replacing sand filter. The first year we had it, we used it a lot. With each passing year, we use it less and less. (It's more fun to be on the boat!) I guess if we had kids, we would enjoy it more. Basically, it's a hole in the ground that we keep throwing $$ in. Just my $.02.
    Vonna
    Yes, I fish like a girl. If you tried a little harder, you could too!!

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, Ok, I'll volunteer Laura's youngons to come stay the summer with you and Paul. Get that pool ready, :D

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Crappie Stalker
    We have a 12 x 32 inground pool and I'd just as soon fill it up with dirt. It came with the house we bought. In 6 years, we've had the vinyl liner replaced, put in a new pump, repaired leaks in the system, bought an automatic vacuum, and now this year it's new gaskets and replacing sand filter. The first year we had it, we used it a lot. With each passing year, we use it less and less. (It's more fun to be on the boat!) I guess if we had kids, we would enjoy it more. Basically, it's a hole in the ground that we keep throwing $$ in. Just my $.02.

Post Thanks / Like

My parents had one. They did fell it in. It was cheaper to fell it in that year than opening it. The cost of a new liner , the old one had another rip in it, and the cost of chemicals to open it were more than the dirt to fell it in with. Plus the year before with all the rain then the tree leaves all it was, was a big chemical eating pit in the back yard. I would not get or buy one if it was me just use your neighbors if they have one. Or better yet buy a boat and you can jump in the water when you get wet and fish till you are dry:D .
    If in doubt, cross their eyes!!

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

fill it wth fisha n go fishing in the back yard:D
    retired and now i will always fish

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast