Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crappie fishing in ponds

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie fishing in ponds

I am new here, my name is Andy. I tried searching, but could not locate anything, so here it goes.

I fish in mostly smaller ponds, around 15acres or smaller and would love to get onto the crappie that people say are not there. What can I do to increase my chances? The one pond closest to my house is abou 1acre of surface area and I caught one crappie the other day and around 45 bluegill in three hours of fishing with a white 1/16 Rooster Tail. What could I do?

Thanks.
    Andy

Post Thanks / Like

HI Andy,

If I was you I would read this thread (click on link below)and build you one of these. I have been using them on ponds for years and it catches crappies big time. I posted the instructions a few weeks ago but no one here has reported back ... yet. If you need any help just post any questions on that thread.

http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/showthread.php?t=19609
    Last edited by KCBH; 04-26-2006 at 04:58 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

two words ....... Beetle Spin... these have caught more fish for me than any other lure in the pond. I know alot of things work in ponds but for the price and simplicity of use you cannot beat them.

Post Thanks / Like

I like a jig with a spinner!!!!!!!!!!!

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Excellent suggestion from DMB ... for you, Drew

Quote Originally Posted by dmbutler47
    I like a jig with a spinner!!!!!!!!!!!
    I'd suggest a 1/32oz or 1/16oz Roadrunner :D
    Second to that - Float'n'Fly setup (small float & 1/16oz marabou jig)
    Thirdly - Beetle Spin

You might also consider that these ponds may not be holding that many Crappie. With the ratio of Bluegill to Crappie caught, it might be that the ponds are overpopulated with Bluegill. Then again, it could just be that the Bluegill were biting better than the Crappie -- or getting to the bait faster :D In that case ..... go to a slightly larger bait (>2" long) and see if your Crappie catch rate increases.
    Some suggestions for that scenario :
    3" Rapala floater/diver minnow
    "creek sized" crankbaits
    "mini" spinnerbaits
    1/8oz jigs (with or without 2-3" plastic trailers)

Further suggestion - use multicolored baits (with red/green/blue/orange) to represent Bluegill fry (possible foodsource for those Crappie). Black/White or Black/Silver baits may also be a good choice (Crappie may also be feeding on minnow population, if present, and/or their own young - if not the Bluegill fry & resident minnows). .......... luck2ya .......... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Andy ... ask and you shall receive.

Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

If you caught 45 bluegill and 1 crappie, that means there aren't many crappie in the pond. You can't catch em where they ain't. Try a new pond.

Don

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I will try a Beetle Spin with this pond, and then try a few more ponds here soon to see if I can tap into a better base of crappie. The one fish I caught was a healthy 9" black. Should I concentrate around the cattails in the north end of the pond where a drainage from the streets above the pond come in or in deeper water where I caught the first fish? Just wondering. Thanks guys.
    Andy

Post Thanks / Like

Where are you from? What has the weather been like there? There are going to be Bream starting to bed up in the cattails, if it is warm there, the crappie have probably spawned and moved deeper. You just never know sometimes though!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast