Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: White bass on KY Lake?

Post Thanks / Like

Default White bass on KY Lake?

Does anyone have any advice for fishing for white bass on KY Lake? I'm planning a 4 day trip and want to have all of my ducks in a row as far as what to do if the crappie aren't bitting. I have heard good reports of sauger in the channels and cats by the dam but I wouldn't mind catching some white bass. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

frank lawhead is offline RIP Frank - Crystal is now posting on his behalf.
    Post Thanks / Like

I,d Try Posting On The Tenn. And Kent. Boards
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Spring spawning run is pretty much over for this year. They wont start schooling and ripping into the shad until mid to late summer. A few can always be caught, but it would be wise to try for other species right now. May I suggest CRAPPIE or maybe catfish, with Redear and Bluegill thrown in for good measure.

Post Thanks / Like

If its like here at the Pickwick end. About any sandbar with a point and current break is all it takes. Or the end of riprap on the main body of water. They will move up close to the bank and feed.
    Also if theres a big trash pile above the dam they will hide under it and feed also.
    Pete

fishmanpl Guest

They are a little tough to get into right now from my experiences. But, come summer time you can just look for the seagulls. Hit some of the spots mentioned above, but keep an eye out for seagulls. Binoculars are a big help.

Once you see the seagulls bombarding a spot in good numbers, get there quick. They're hitting the shad that the white bass are chasing to the surface. Sometimes it may be a few days before you even see it, but when you do it's fast and furious action.

You'll also be able to see schools hitting the surface on calm days without the gulls' help. But the gulls will give a good school away almost every time. Shut your motor down before you get to them so you don't run the school back down. Cruise in close enough with your trolling motor so that you can easily reach them. Try 1/4 oz white rooster tails and reel them fast. Pinch the hook barbs down, or at least a couple of them, if it's really good. Saves a lot of time getting them off and you'll want to get them off quick and get your lure back out there when it's on.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the help guys