Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2005 Mercury 90hp starting troubles.

Post Thanks / Like

Default 2005 Mercury 90hp starting troubles.

I replaced the bindex on the starter last friday and put the batteries on charge all night. Arrived at the lake Saturday morning and all the motor would do is click. Messed with it for a while and went on fishing. Tried again about 1 hour later and it fired right up. Worked for the better half of the day but near the end it would click again. I have now checked to batteries and they are OK. Took the starter off and brought it to work and hooked a battery up to it and it shoots the bindex up and turns just fine. Put the starter back on the boat and just clicks. I am replacing the sylenoid in the morning unless someone has a better idea. Also have a brand new starter but am making sure that is the problem before I put it on so that I can get my money back for it.

Post Thanks / Like

My bet it's the solenoid, but ck all connections between starter and solenoid first. Gary I

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 2005 90 HP Optimax and have already had to replace the powerhead and water pump. Good thing for warranties. It was $5,000 I only had to pay a little under $150 Let us know what you find to be the problem.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

That is a typical symptom of a bad solenoid but they sure shouldn't go bad that fast. Factory defect maybe?
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with everyone else, sounds like the solenoid. Did you try jumping the solenoid to see if it does the same thing? Do you have any shims between the solenoid and the motor? Warranties are a wonderful thing until they expire.

Post Thanks / Like

and these are 2005 models? Sound more like 95 not 05.

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

had the same to happen to a 55 hp 1979 rude . replaced the solenoid noe every thing is alright
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 03 90hp Mercury with a very similar problem.
    Sometimes it wouldn't crank until I tapped the side of the starter or lately I would spin the armature by turning the gear. I figured maybe a sticking brush.
    Dropped the starter off at the Mercury dealer Tuesday and they said it was a bad armature.
    Maybe this will help with your diagnosis.

Post Thanks / Like

check the battery connections.......i have an older 70hp merc that was doing the same thing.....ended up the wing nut came loose and lost connection.....after a while it would be hitting just right and fire right up

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like ya need a yamaha. Anyone have a new johnson motor? Just wondering if they as good as the older ones were.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast