Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strike King Bitsy Minnow and Wiggler - mod changes?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Strike King Bitsy Minnow and Wiggler - mod changes?

Went out last week to buy new line and jigs at Cabelas and Bass Pro shop, respectively. Saw the bitsy minnow and wiggler in the panfish section and heard a few folks on here talk about it and thought i would give it try.

First thing i noticed on the package was that it boasted about catching bluegills, crappie, bass and walleye. bluegill and crappie i can believe, but bass and walleye? maybe, until i saw the small treble hooks on it.

Two things about the hooks.

1. They are not sharp, the slide around on the top of my fingernail
    2. They are not very big, slightly under 1/2"

So i started thinking about adding larger treble hooks to them, then i remembered i saved the sureset hooks from the old (bought last year) Rapala crankbaits.

But before i made the changes to them, i decided to ask for some feedback from the folks that use the bitsy minnow and/or wiggler and get their insight of the hooks of these little crankbaits.

Do they hook well into the fish and stay on, or would putting slightly larger treble hooks on these make for a better grab on the fish?

Post Thanks / Like

I like the bitsy minnow....has caught bass several times. Never thought about adding larger hooks, so cant say....they are small though. lol But, I have caught NICE bluegill on it and bass....havent had any crappie from it yet.

Post Thanks / Like

I love that lure for our HOA lake, kills about everything that lives in it. Haven't had issues with hook sets either. I have a 8 yr. old neice, when her and one of the neighborhood girls want to go fishing that is what I put on their poles and then I troll them around the lake under trolling motor power... the catching is fun and their faces even more so. Simple and it produces.
    The best way to get to where you want to be in the future is to act like you are there TODAY.

Post Thanks / Like

The best small crankbait they make it catches everything the sexy shad Colorado is deadly but they are all good no need to change the hooks
    HERE FISHY FISHY

Post Thanks / Like

Its the sexy shad Color not Colorado don't know how I put that in there sorry
    HERE FISHY FISHY

Post Thanks / Like

The bitsy minnow is a great little crank. I call it my "Boil Buster" when fish are hitting on top I toss to that spot and catch'em quite often.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, then i will keep the hooks as is then.

I didn't see a sexy shad color option. I got the Crawfish (pictured above), Baby Bass, Tennesse Shad, and Charteuse Black Back.

Post Thanks / Like

Wal-mart is the only place that I have found that carries the sexy shad color
    HERE FISHY FISHY

Post Thanks / Like

I love the bitsy minnow cranks...I have at least one in every color but seem to do best with the white with small pink patch on belly (think it is the ghost color?). My ol' lady doesn't even bother with changing lures, we just keep one of these on her rod all the time.

We've caught:
    -Crappie, with great success trolling them in the dead of summer heat
    -Bluegill/sunfish
    -TONS of smallmouth....of all sizes
    -Largemouth, and some very nice ones
    -Sauger
    -Walleye
    -Striped bass
    -Fallfish
    -Rockbass
    -Had Gar strike at them

I'm sure theres more and I'm just not thinking of them.

I honestly can't think of one fish that has thrown one. Almost too small to foul hook reall and can't think of many deep hook issues either.

I think they are the best value lure out there, no mods needed
    Learn to not run from your problems....except when your problems are giant boars.

Post Thanks / Like

Ditto that says it all I have around 50 of these baits all of my biggest fish have come on this bait plus some many bluegills it ought to be against the law
    HERE FISHY FISHY

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast