Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: microwave guides and custom rod.

Post Thanks / Like

Default microwave guides and custom rod.

Anybody used the microwave guide that comes on some castaway rods? I ordered a guide on swampland tackle yesterday. I plan on making a spin/fly rod with this guide as a stripper guide. I cant find a spin/fly rod worth a crap so Im gonna make one. Im gonna put a tennessee handle on it with those rings so if im useing a fly reel i can put it at the butt and if im useing a spinning reel i can put it up at the front. Go to youtube and look at castaway microwave. It looks crazy, there is a #8 or#6 guide about 1/2" behind a #30 guide. I dont know if it works but Im gonna try it. When I get it done I will try to post some pics. Im a computard so it may be a while. Im building it on a cheap rod (7' 4wt shakspeare micro lite) since I dont know if its gonna work. Believe it or not it is very lite and sensitive and only cost 13 bucks on clearance. LOL. Just wondering about the guide.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I own a microwave rod. The guide really keeps wind knots down and gives you smoother quieter casts. Be careful building. The guide is designed for a specific distance from the spool to work as it should. Right now my primary rod is the MicroWave with the newest WaveSpin reel. I'm doing a long term review of the gear. I know Doug Hannon and live only about a half hour from him and the Florida offices of WaveSpin. As always there are pluses and drawbacks to new innovative which is the case with the reels. The reels really work, but they could be more sophisticated. The rod though is bulletproof and is one of the best rods I have ever owned. The guide is great and I want it on every spinning rod I own from now on.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

I have built quite a number of rods over the last 20 years and one of my priorities was to keep the rod from being tip heavy. There is several ways to do that, Smaller guides, Fewer guides or lead in the butt. Now to my question, what if you just used a # 6 or 8 high bridge guide in place of the size 30, it would sure help with the weight problem towards the tip?