Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Closing of ramps within 1 mile of 68-80 bridge on Kentucky Lake

Post Thanks / Like

Default Closing of ramps within 1 mile of 68-80 bridge on Kentucky Lake

I just heard they are planning on closing ramps within 1 mile of 68-80 on Kentucky Lake starting Sunday. They seemed to think Kenlake ramp will be included. I'm wondering if they will allow any fishing in Ledbetter at all. Supposedly the lake will be marked to stop all but barge traffic. Does anyone know for sure?

I hear business is already taken a hit in those areas.

Post Thanks / Like

why are they doing this, what reason ?
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

A ship hit the bridge don't. Know why they would close the lake but I'm not. From there
    James & April Linderman

Vicious Tournament Team Members
    Southern Pro Pro Staff
    HI-Tek Rod Holders

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's because they want to cut down traffic around the bridge except for barges. Sightseers will just get in the way and I don't doubt at all that some of them might try to slip thru farther down the bridge. Don't like it but I can understand it. Hoping someone out there knows if this is a rumor or if its fact. The guy I talked to knows people who should know but you know how that goes.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up According to this ....

"ONE-TIME OPPORTUNITY TO VIEW EGGNER'S FERRY BRIDGE COLLAPSE ~ On Sat., Feb. 4, from 9am to 1pm only, LBL will provide the public and media with a one-time opportunity to view the partial collapse of the Eggner's Ferry Bridge, across Kentucky Lake/Tennessee River, caused from being struck by a large cargo ship. US68/KY80 west from Woodlands Trace National Scenic Byway (Woodlands Trace, formerly The Trace) to the bridge will be temporarily opened to traffic. Visitors will be directed to park at the Fenton Camping Area and Boat Ramp, and will be allowed to walk in designated areas only to view the bridge. Be advised that there will be a ¼ mile walk from the parking area to the bridge viewing area. This is the only time traffic will be allowed west on US68/KY80 past Woodlands Trace. For public safety, this entire area, including the Fenton Boat Ramp and Camping Area, is completely closed to all vehicle, boat, and pedestrian traffic until further notice. In the future, visitors ignoring road closures or U.S. Coast Guard restrictions on Kentucky Lake will be cited.
    URGENT TRAVEL INFORMATION ~ All Land Between The Lakes' (LBL) offices and most facilities normally open at this time of year remain open, including Golden Pond Visitor Center, Energy Lake Campground, Wranglers Campground, other backcountry camping areas, trails, and picnic areas. On Jan. 26, 2012, a span of the Eggner Ferry Bridge over Kentucky lake, on the west side of LBL collapsed after being struck by a large cargo ship. LBL's Fenton Campground and Boat Ramp, located near this bridge, are closed until further notice to allow workers access to the incident. The Eggner Ferry Bridge and US Hwy 68/KY80 from Woodlands Trace Overpass to the bridge are closed. The Coast Guard has closed Kentucky Lake and the Tennessee River to recreation boating from mile marker 41 to 43 on either side of the bridge."

.... it would appear that the Fenton Boat Ramp is the only one closed ... but "recreational" boat traffic is not allowed for ~1mi to either side of the damaged bridge. According to Google Earth, that 1mi would run out in front of the Kenlake area ... so, I would imagine that if Kenlake's ramp was closed, there would have been something said about it. I would assume that, since nothing was mentioned about Kenlake, that it is still usable ... but you would not be able to go towards the bridge from there.

... cp