Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: OK Anglers!

Post Thanks / Like

Default OK Anglers!

I haven't been a memebr for very long but i was browsing back through some of the old posts and kept running into the same thing. Good story after good story after good story. Do none of us ever have a bad story to tell? I thought this would make an interesting thread.

What was/is the worst fishing experience you have been a part of?

Post Thanks / Like

I will start it off

Memeorial day weekend 4 years ago, me and 5 buddies, took a trip to some old rock quarries for the weekend. I had been going down there since i was 7 with my family and thought it would be fun to take a group of my friends down there. Well i churched it up for them telling them how the water was so clear and the fish so big. We got down there friday night rained the whole night. Got up early, went out and fished in a sprinkle, noon rolls around and started downpouring, rained rest of the day and night. Same thing for the next 2 days. Finally gave up and packed up camp and the boats and said to heck with it. Came home with sopping wet gear, clothes, and no fish to boot. The very next year came and we went down there again on the same weekend. Only this time it was hotter than rats doing it in a wool sock and drier than a popcorn fart. Again the guys were fed up and disappointed that we only caught one keeper and a sunburn. Needless to say the guys have not let me plan another "expedition" since.

Post Thanks / Like

Any fishing outing that included my in-laws. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

Anytime I went tent camping and it RAINED ALL DAY LONG. That really sux.

That's why I don't go fishing and camping unless I get the weather report first. If it looks like it's going to rain in the next few hours I pack up the tent and camping gear and go home. You can have that camping in the rain and drown rat syndrone. Even if you have a popup camper with AC it still sux when it rains all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Reno
    I haven't been a memebr for very long but i was browsing back through some of the old posts and kept running into the same thing. Good story after good story after good story. Do none of us ever have a bad story to tell? I thought this would make an interesting thread.

What was/is the worst fishing experience you have been a part of?
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Several years ago went to Big Stone Lake on the SD-MN boarder. This lake is 1 mile wide and 35 miles long. My wife and I was putting the boat in and everyone was coming off of the lake. The wind was blowing pretty good, but my boat does pretty good in the wind. We run out to Kite Island and started trolling when the wind started really blowing down the lake. I had a 12 volt trolling motor on my boat then. I could hold the boat but had it wide open just to stay pointing into the wind. I told my wife to start the big motor and just put it in gear and I would pick-up the trolling motor and we would go to a cove and get out of the wind. By this time the wind is blowing really hard and we are going backwards and all I can do with the trolling motor is to keep us pointed into the wind. The boulders are coming up fast around the Island. My wife never wanted to know how to run the boat because she always said that she could do it if she ever needed to. This was the time she need to do it and she found out she didn't know how to run the boat or even start it. She started hitting and pushing buttons and dropped the electric anchor while we are moving backwards at a brisk pace by this time. She stopped the boat and helped me get into the back of the boat, very quickly. The anchor caught in the boulders and hooked immediately. Needless to say I got up off the floor and started the boat and pulled forward and found out the electric anchor wouldn't work anymore so I had her steer the boat while I pulled up the anchor by hand. We moved into a cove and I dropped the anchor and started fishing but was still getting caught by the wind so told my wife to steer the boat I would pull the anchor and we would move further into the cove and get out of the wind. She said that she would pull the anchor and I could steer the boat. She went up front and pulled the anchor and just stood there. (I have a walk thru windshield on my boat.) I told her to come back and sit down and close the windshield while we moved. She said she would just sit up front and I could move and we didn't need to shut the windshield that we wasn't going very far. She started to sit down and I put the boat in gear and the wind hit us from the side and shoved the boat around. The wind caught the windshield and slammed it shut just as she was bent over to sit down. The windshield hit her in the forehead and put a gash in it. (Her head that is). I always told her that the boat was just getting even for breaking its anchor. On the way home we got hit with a blizzard and the snow was like a white out and was coming sideways. It ripped the travel cover off of the boat and I had to stop and empty the boat and put the stuff in the truck. When I stopped for gas the boat was on the trailer almost side ways. When we got home I took the anchor apart and found that the gears were ripped out of it. Don't want to re-pete that trip again. Since then I put a 24 volt Trolling motor on the boat, and don't have any problems with it now.
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

Being in Kansas i have had my experiences with wind on the water but nothing like that.

Post Thanks / Like

I think most every body remembers the good stories and tend to forget there less fortunate ones. Or we can look at a bad story and find good in it, or something humorous about it and laugh. My story was about six years of not being able to go fishing. I was a caregiver for my elderly mother. Plus working full time with overtime. I am so glad I was able to spend that time with her. When I was able to go fishing again I really appreciate the time on the water. I am also grateful that my dad sparked an interest in me for fishing. ENJOY YOUR PARENTS WHILE YOU CAN !!!!!!!!!! You can add family in there too. I see a lot of great threads on this board with pictures of parents and there children, or grandparents with grandchildren. Why to go every body

Gonefission
    Bill