Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Live Mole Crickets

Post Thanks / Like

Question Live Mole Crickets

Anybody ever use them and did you catch anything on them?
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Post Thanks / Like

not sure what a Mole cricket is. What is the differance between these and the normal ones we get from bait shops?

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen them jump as far as grasshoppers, so I'm guessing they have to make it into the water every now and then, at least. I don't know if fish like them but armodillos sure do. The mole crickets get into the Bahia (that's pronounced Ba-hey-ia if I didn't spell it right) grass and eat the grass roots killing the Bahia and then the armodillos finish off the yard by digging it up looking for mole crickets to eat. Sure am glad I've got St. Augustine grass. Mole crickets don't like St. Augustine .

They look like a tan grasshopper or a tan cricket but a little different at the head. They dig into the soil. That's the best I can do. They are in Florida but I don't know if they are in any other states.

Ah, I found a link for them.

http://www.pestproducts.com/molecrickets.htm

This article says they are in St. Augustine but where I live, they don't like it like they do Bahia.
    Last edited by dixieangler; 04-27-2006 at 06:12 AM.
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Post Thanks / Like

These crickets are excellent for brem fishing. I used to crawl under the house and catch them as a kid. Seems like I remember feeding them oranges and they turned a orangish color. If I could find a place to buy them I would.

The bream tear them up. The bream always slam these crickets hard. Too old to be crawling under the house for crickets.

Wish I knew of a way to trap them or catch them some where else other than under the house.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, CH, I was just wondering because I've thought about it but have never done it. I don't know of or have any idea how to trap them but they do burrow just under the ground out in the yard like a mole and have leave about a one inch entry/exit hole. Probably could catch them by hand but that would be a pain. I don't know of any place that sells them either.
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"