Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: White bass

Post Thanks / Like

Default White bass

Does anyone have tips on how to locate white bass on a lake? I've been reading that they're biting on a local lake (Normandy in TN) but don't know alot about fishing freshwater and the reports are real vague. Any help would be appreciated...Bryan

Post Thanks / Like

Im no expert by any stretch, but white bass are really hard to keep track of in most seasons. In summer and fall you can find them breaking on top chasing shad. In the late winter and early spring they start going up into the river to spawn. I like inline spinners like the blue fox vibrax and joe flies, also 2" to 3"grubs and hand tied jigs, gulp minnows are also good. I dont fish for them very much but they should be heading up in the river buy the end of the month. This time of year on cordell hull I have caught them on flats back in coves off the main lake. I dont know your lake so I dont know what they do there. It might be a good place to start.

Post Thanks / Like

White Bass are almost always moving somewhere. I don't personally have much experience this time of a year but the best you could really do is ask someone local where they have been catchin' em, if you find someone nice enough of course. But I can tell yea if you find em use simple shad/white colors normally. This can vary from cranks, inline spinners, and grubs for the most part. Don't know if it did, but hope this helped some. O yea and if you get in to 'em you might get warn out, if your lucky!!

jackie53 is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Find the school of shad!!! We find them in the mouths of the main feeder streams now.They will be real shallow at first light and at dark.We look for gulls and then look for a sand or gravel bar.You will see balls of shad on your locater or fishfinder that look a lot like a brush pile (big brush pile) except the brush pile will move.The white bass are not far,1/2 oz jig head white with a white grub,jigging 1/2 oz to 1oz spoons,3/8 oz inline spinners and1/4-1/2 oz blade baits will catch them.Just drop the jig or bait of choice to the bottom real up one crank even the spoon hold it as still as you can you will feel a thump set the hook.We use 6/20lb powerpro line hope this helps.
    John 3:16
    Blessed to have as many friends as fingers on your hand is a blessing!!!
    "Gone fish'n not wish'n"
    In God We Trust.
    Can God trust us.

Post Thanks / Like

I second above....look for shad schools on depth finder. Find bait fish on/near humps and/or roadbeds even better. 90% of my white bass fishing in is with a 1/2 to 3/4 oz spoon. They will hit it on the drop For surface fish under guls you can throw about anything. I like a 1/8 - 1/4 oz jig head with a 3-4" curly tail grub, white or chart. Rattle Traps are great if you don't mind the trebles.

Post Thanks / Like

Jayhawk forgot the best Ks. white bass lure. Chartruse roadrunner with red on it. 1/8 oz approx.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chmee213 View Post
    Jayhawk forgot the best Ks. white bass lure. Chartruse roadrunner with red on it. 1/8 oz approx.
    Actually...my best white bass lure hands down is the Fishtech Double W Shad spoon. Caught more white bass and wipers on these than all other lures combined.
    Name:  Spoon.jpg
Views: 1482
Size:  8.9 KBName:  Spoon.2.jpg
Views: 1063
Size:  10.2 KB

jackie53 is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Jacks crappie and white bass rig with 2 1/2 in white curley tail grubs works the best for us in deep water or shallow!!!
    John 3:16
    Blessed to have as many friends as fingers on your hand is a blessing!!!
    "Gone fish'n not wish'n"
    In God We Trust.
    Can God trust us.

Post Thanks / Like

T-roy
    You have a PM
    SeaRay
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men

Post Thanks / Like

If lake is big and it has a dam or rock gravel area then you can find them there (double rigged 2 inch white curly tail retrieved along dam or rocks) or this time of year they are moving following bait before moving up river channels to spawn.