Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Considering a frameless pontoon

Post Thanks / Like

Default Considering a frameless pontoon

I need a floating vessel I can transport in my Versa hatchback. My car can't tow, so I've thought about getting a pontoon. I live in a second floor apartment, and would have to haul it up a flight of stairs too. So I need something pretty light that packs down small. I don't want a pontoon with a frame, because I would have to break it down every time. This would be for fishing smaller lakes, ponds and reservoirs. I don't anticipate doing any river floating, but it would be nice to have the option.

At the moment, I'm considering two choices, the Sea Eagle 285 or the NFO Outlaw Renegade.

Inflatable Boats and inflatable kayaks from SeaEagle.com

Outlaw Renegade

Sea Eagle Pros - I like the seat position better than the Renegade. I also like the solid floor. Don't have to use waders. It's cheaper.

Sea Eagle Cons - Warranty is shorter. It's 3 years on the 285. Lower weight limit. Heavier than the Renegade. No whitewater rating.

Renegade Pros - Lighter. Longer warranty. Higher weight limit. High whitewater rating.

Renegade Cons - Low seat. Need waders if you don't want to get wet. Open floor. Get a case of butterfingers in the Renegade and your stuff goes in the drink. I've heard of some bad experiences with NFO's warranty service.

If I go with the Sea Eagle, I would be getting the PRO package.

Does anyone have any experience with these? Any other suggestions?
    Don't worry, catch crappie.

Post Thanks / Like

Sea Eagle won't be that easy to carry up the steps. The floor, seat, etc will be separate from the 42 lb bag. Also from watching the video, it seems like liked to skate on the water. Small breeze could be trouble. Standing, it looks like you will be creating bunches of wakes. The new oar extenders will help rowing (old system was a nightmare due to ergonomics), but wind might still be an issue. Also if you plan to fish public waters with a motor, you will have to register the boat. I also think you will still be getting wet entering and exiting (might get away with just rubber boats instead of waders).

Scadden/Northfork, looks like a big float tube. Scadden tends to rate his boats highly (material, whitewater capacity, weight capacity, etc), just be conservative with his numbers.

If it were me (I have spent time from Grand View to Shoshone Falls/Twin Falls but not north,west, or south of you), I would look hard at the Outcast Traveler (Outcast/Aire is located in Meridan). Yes it has a frame but it is pretty small frame, and very quick to mount.

Also if your going to have to wear waders (like the Scadden); IMO go ahead and get a regular sized float tube (V or pontoon shaped, not round). I use mine with a kayak paddle rather flippers, Outcast Fishcat LCS4 is the model. Advantage is portability and weight. Will still move around good too.

Some other options similar to the traveler (small frames) would be Star Inflatables tadpole and catfish model.

Bob # 1 is offline Moderator Fisherman's Memorial Forum * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Considering what your poroblems are, this would be my humble suggestion

Name:  tube_fishing_rainbow.jpg
Views: 6031
Size:  49.1 KB

Light, portable, get where others can't
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Testimonials
    Night fishing tips 101
    Temperature Guide Crappie

Fishing lights

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. I've used inflatables before, so I am aware of the wind issue. I think wind is an issue for any shallow draft boat. My uncle has a 21 foot Alumacraft river sled, and it gets pushed around in the breeze too.

I know you have to register craft with a motor as a boat, but I'm not worried about that. I don't mind taking multiple trips to and from the car, I just need to be sure the individual parts aren't too heavy for me to carry and they all fit in my car.

Thanks for the float tube suggestion, but I've already looked into them and decided that's not what I want. I want to sit higher up in the water, and I want something I can attach a motor to. The wind on some of the reservoirs here can get very bad in a hurry. I've seen it go from minor waves to raging whitecaps within the period of 15 minutes, so I need something that can cover water fairly quickly if I need to make a break for shore.

The only Traveler I could find on the Outcast Boats web site is an inflatable canoe? It's way above my budget. Or did you mean a different craft?

Inflatable fishing pontoon boats and float tubes for anglers | Outcast
    Don't worry, catch crappie.

Post Thanks / Like

I meant the drifter, not traveller (although it would work too but like you said expensive).

If you are planning on motoring, I would really look at framed boats. I have an older Pac1100 (heavier frame with standing platform) which scoots with a little motor. The frame will provide rigidity, a better place to mount the motor, and if your using electric - a stronger platform to mount the heavy battery. I carry it on top of my Yukon all the time (on a roof rack). Storing the frame might be a hassle (maybe slide it under a bed???). But the tubes are easy to carry once unstrapped from the frame. A trick I used to use in college, was to use cinder blocks to elevate my bed. Kept all kinds of kayaks, fishing rods, etc under the elevated bed.

Name:  117944450_o2JCR-M.jpg
Views: 4374
Size:  48.4 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sea eagle Owner Here

I have the Sea Eagle frameless pontoon

It breaks down into several parts but the heaviest thing will be the
    boat itself and it weighs 42 lbs and folds up and fits in a 32x32 bag with shoulder strap.

the battery for the trolling motor is the next heaviest item
    If you dont use a trolling motor the next heaviest thing will be the seat
    assembly. it weighs about 15 lbs

I use mine to use when we go camping
    I cannot pull both my camper and bassboat so I bought the inflateable sea eagle and just throw it in under the bed in the camper and I always have my boat with me.

It is very stable and I am very satisfied with it.
    hope this helps

Dockshooter
    Dock Shooter