Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Hey, that's a good idea!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hey, that's a good idea!!

Just thought I'd share this experience in case you ever find yourself in the same situation...

Yesterday, I went fishing with a friend. It was a saltwater trip but it could have easily been a crappie run. Anyway, everything was going well until we launched. I guess I flooded my o/b and ended up pullling the starter cord a few extra times. Whatever the cause, the pull handle (or the knot) on the cord picked that moment to give out.

Luckily I saved the cord from being sucked back in all the way and the spring coil did not unravel everything. But we had a problem getting the cord back through the pull handle to retie the knot.

My fishing buddy spoke up..."Why don't you just use the rope"..my reply clearly indicated I was not understanding..."let me show you", he said. We had an extra length of hefty sized line on the boat. He just took a piece of that, tied a loop in it, and tied the pull cord to the loop. No more plastic pull handle needed. It works so well I might just leave it there.

Post Thanks / Like

No slab but last week we were trolling in a slew fishin got ready to idle out hit the switch would'nt hit a lick it has been taking a few spins to fire lately so i choked it still nothing i turned around and looked gas was dripping out of the bottom of the cowl so i thought i'd flooded it so we started trolling out to the river got out to the main river still no fire or nothing any other time there would be 100 boats coming up an down too leand a hand not one came by so we start trolling toward the landing 1 mile away 45 minutes later we made it put the boat up on the trailer pull it to the top of the hill to tie it down. The first thing i do after i take the boat out and lift the engine is to go around and clip thesnap line of the kill switch to the steering wheel You guess it !! the kill switch was laying in the floor board Boy did i feel stupid !!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Good job on the pull rope fix...... I've seen the kill switch get more than one person Crappie lips...lol...I bet it's the first thing you check next time

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ropes and kill switch

I have done both of these. Another thing that I have used for a rope (in a pinch) is a heavy duty stringer.
    I have a cousin who has been in the outboard business for years and he says the kill switch is one of the main things people bring their motor in for. Boy I bet they feel stupid when he flips the kill switch and the motor starts right up.
    Shadow
    Dwyane
    The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary!

SMILE- A curve that can set a lot of things straight!

Post Thanks / Like

That is a good idea to file away for future use.

Gonefission
    Bill