Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: spider rig line setup?

Post Thanks / Like

Default spider rig line setup?

most of my fishing for crappie here in Louisiana had been tightlining around structure or dragging lines off the side of my boat once the weather heated up. this yr I'm going to setup to spider rig and would like some recommendations on the best way to rig up my lines. for example....should the weight be above or below the baits. I plan on using jigs and or shinners! any pics would be appreciated!!

Z

Post Thanks / Like

have at least 6 baits or jigs on your line,have a 4 to6 ounce weight on the bottom of your rig.bounce the weight off the bottom.troll or tight...the same way....i always use jigs myself..less hassle and dont have toworry about what to do with extra shiners when your finished fishing.....

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer the weight on the bottom. Thats the way i started out and i guess i'm just used to it. Tried the weight in the middle thing side by side with the weight on the bottom & couldn't tell any difference in the amount of bites. One thing i did notice, if i missed a fish with the weight in the middle rig & it went flying up in the air,i would have a *** of a knot to untie or cut out. I could see the weight in the middle rig possibly doing better in very choppy water. JMO
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 01-31-2012 at 08:39 AM.
    The two best times to fish (when it's raining & when it aint). Proud member of team GitDaFeeshGrease

Post Thanks / Like

never heard of using so much weight and so many baits. I use mostly 3/8ths to 5/8ths ounce bell weights and only 2 hooks. The minnow deal is not a problem, got my leftovers in a cooler with an aeriater running right now.As long as its cool temps they will keep just fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by bistineaudon View Post
    have at least 6 baits or jigs on your line,have a 4 to6 ounce weight on the bottom of your rig.bounce the weight off the bottom.troll or tight...the same way....i always use jigs myself..less hassle and dont have toworry about what to do with extra shiners when your finished fishing.....
    The two best times to fish (when it's raining & when it aint). Proud member of team GitDaFeeshGrease

Post Thanks / Like

1/2 ounce to 3/4 ounce weight 15 inches above bait. Bait gets hung, a violent shake of the rod tip with a little slack line to the bait will free it up 95% of the time. weight will knock it loose while shaking it.CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

Post Thanks / Like

i live on bistineau and the left over shiners are no problem for me,,i have livewells for shiners and fish....i agree with everyone about this rig having a lot of weight,,but it works here..there`s been a lot of strong winds.of course you get hung up with any rig.just shake it a little and normally its comes free.....not saying this nis good for everyone.but it works for me when nothing else does

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Snake n da brush™ 5/8oz (comes in 1/4oz, 3/8oz, 5/8oz, 1/0oz)

Rickie
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Post Thanks / Like

My set-up is for tight-line trolling but I suspect it would work for spider-rigging too. Actually, there are times when I put the trolling motor in reverse and push the lines rather than pull them, so I guess at that point I am spider-rigging.

A 3/8 oz. worm weight (bell-shaped) is about 18" ahead of the jig. The swivel connector and snap swivel keep the line from twisting. The plastic bead keeps the weight from destroying the knot.

Name:  trolling rig set-up.jpg
Views: 45502
Size:  15.0 KB

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for all the invaluable information.all really good tips. I'll just have to figure which will work best for me.even though I'll be using a spider rig it will be mostly tight lining or very very slow trolling!!

Z

Post Thanks / Like

thats very interesting what kind of poles do you use to handle this kind of weight? the only time I've seen anyone using that much weight they were pushing crankbaits. I'm sorry to ask so many questions but i'm curious to different methods of catching my favorite fish.
    Quote Originally Posted by bistineaudon View Post
    i live on bistineau and the left over shiners are no problem for me,,i have livewells for shiners and fish....i agree with everyone about this rig having a lot of weight,,but it works here..there`s been a lot of strong winds.of course you get hung up with any rig.just shake it a little and normally its comes free.....not saying this nis good for everyone.but it works for me when nothing else does

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast