Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Hey Phantom, Speck Detector and Skinnyhoop

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hey Phantom, Speck Detector and Skinnyhoop

Ya'll ever try them frozen sardines for catfish?
    Last edited by flycaster; 01-30-2012 at 08:52 PM.

Altamonte Springs, FL (mostly fish Geneva area)
    Post Thanks / Like

Nope never tried frozen sardines. I decided to google this topic and one of the first results was this article where they tested out different types of "non-stink" bait. The sardines produced very well. Catfish baits don't have to stink!!

Post Thanks / Like

Great find and them sardines are pretty cheap tooThumbs Up

Post Thanks / Like

And that was supposed to be Speck Detector, this dern autospell is killin me. Keep shuttin it off and it keeps on turnin back on

Post Thanks / Like

Actually, don't fish for cat's til' summer w/shellcrackers as well, yesterday was totally by accident on a beetle-spin. Also never known what I was catching til' a couple of years ago as far as the shad go, found out one day when asking what all the fly fishermen where doing wading in Mr. gator's territory, that's some passion, so thought I'd let any shad-ers know they were in the area. Those cat's are tackle busters tho...made bout 6 runs of drag. Opps, maybe I should run for office, said alot w/out answering ? No, use standard crawler, livers,ect...
    Last edited by Speck Detector; 01-30-2012 at 09:52 PM.
    crappie down !

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Folks up here use shrimp from the grocery with good results, with a float. And they were busy.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

I generally use shrimp and/or finger mullet chunks.
    If I use chicken livers I'll cut a small square out of pantyhose and wrap the liver in it and tie it up (sewing thread) /hook it up.
    Can also let livers dry out a day on a board and it'll become more better for hooking, etc......
    For catfish I use sliding sinker on the bottom, however, catch many from minnow on bobber fishing for specs.
    "Teach a man to fish = he can feed himself "
    "Teach the world to fish = you won't have any fish left to eat "

Altamonte Springs, FL (mostly fish Geneva area)
    Post Thanks / Like

For catfishing I mostly use cut mullet or shad on a sliding sinker rig. I've used shrimp before but it didn't stay on the hook very well. I've also used those stink baits such as Secret 7 which is not something you want on your hands lol. Though cut mullet and shad have been the most productive baits for me, just hook it through the skin so it stays on.

I agree with the minnow on a bobber. There's these crappie rigs with the weight on bottom with two hooks above. They should change their name to catfish rigs since thats all I catch on em lol