Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Wateree Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wateree Crappie

I just returned from a week of crappie fishing at Watts Bar in Tenn. Is there any good news on the crappie fishing at Wateree.
    Gerald
    Gerald K4NHN
    Cayce, SC

Post Thanks / Like

I spent a few days trying Wateree and I was moderately successful. Slow trolling plastics and minnows (one day the fish wanted plastics the other they would bite minnows) caught 14 one day and 12 the next day. Most were caught in Singleton Creek Area.
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.

Post Thanks / Like

Question How about an update

Rhino when were you fishing wateree, this week? Have ya got any info that you would like to share, (water temp, fishing depth, brush pile's, trolling) ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CreekComber
    Rhino when were you fishing wateree, this week? Have ya got any info that you would like to share, (water temp, fishing depth, brush pile's, trolling) ?

Post Thanks / Like

I spent this past weekend (Saturday) on Fishing Creek. We did okay after the wind died down. We fished from 10:00 am until 2:30 pm with out a nibble. About 2:30 or 3:00 we anchored down just to the North of the mouth of Bear Creek (right across from "Pavillion Landing," a mile above the damn). We were anchored about 150 yards North of the mouth of the creek out about 40 yards from the bank. Right beside a big stump/hazard, right in front of a low point of land that was flooded with more trash and litter that any place I've seen. (We picked up two garbage bags full as we left to try and do our part.) We picked up a couple of crappie, then about 2 hrs before dark they bit and we boated 40 (6 were way to small) average size was about 10 -12 inches. Water temp was 60-61 degrees on the surface. We were in 18 -20 feet of water. Dropped minnows straight down to the bottom then took up the slack then rolled in 3 turns to raise the minnows about 2-3 feet from the bottom. hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Drifting minnows and jigs (anything dark with chartrusse (oops) tail, over Ceder creek channel and just north of the Ceder creek just outside of the creek against the bank in about 15 feet of water. Really couldn't pattern them they were real sparatic. Sorry. Most were in the 12 inch range. But man was it slow.
    Last edited by Rhino; 11-23-2004 at 01:22 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I was at fishing creek this Friday afternoon and got skunked. I've seen fish on my finder in the areas you mentioned. Nothing wanted my jigs. I'm going to try the "drop a minnow on the bottom and real up three times" technique. That's the same method I use for saltwater fish so should work for fresh, right? I tried it Friday with jigs and worms, but nothing was biting. Glad to hear you caught 40. I'm going to start using minnows from now on. I haven't been here long, but I've already learned a lot from you folks. Hopefully I'll be giving a good report soon

Bowfin
    John 21:3
    Simon Peter said to them, "I am going fishing." They said to him, "We are going with you also." They went out and immediately got into the boat, and that night they caught nothing.

And we act like this Nightstalking thing is new.

For some excitment, read the next verse. A special guest arrived, they filled their coolers and had a fish fry on the beach...in the morning. My kind of people.- Bowfin