Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Non Lead Crappie Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Default Non Lead Crappie Jigs

New law passed this year in MA, we can no longer use any jigs (less than 1 ounce in weight) on any waters. Does anyone have a site they send me that manufactures non-lead plain and dressed jig heads? I have a lot of lead jigs in all configurations, but it's all illegal for me to use now.

Specifically looking for marabou jigs as well as plain head and tube heads. Thanks for any suggestions.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Google "tungsten crappie jigs" and you will find them.

Post Thanks / Like

i would be moving !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Pro Staff:
    Excel Boat (Meatgetter Edition)
    Crappieholic Apparel
    Hi-Tek Stuff
    Ozark Rods

Please support these great companies!

Post Thanks / Like

That's why I love livin in the south
    CarDen Lawn Care and Maintenance
    www.cardenlawncare.com
    Cell (870) 329-4675

dkb23 is offline Moderator Illinois Forum and Supermod
    Post Thanks / Like

That is communism!
    If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.:rolleyes:

Post Thanks / Like

I have used the non led sinkers and jigs, not to happy with them... wonder what there reasoning is behind the change..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dkb23 View Post
    That is communism!
    X2
    Pinkos

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by beagle man View Post
    ... wonder what there reasoning is behind the change..
    Save the loons.

From the Massachusetts Dept of Fish & Wildlife (MassWildlife - Lead Sinkers and Loons in Massachusetts)

Ingestion of lead fishing gear is the single largest cause of mortality for adult loons in New England. Veterinarians at Tufts University - School of Veterinary Medicine examined over 180 dead adult loons from fresh waters over the past 10 years and determined that more than half these birds died as the result of lead poisoning from the ingestion of lead fishing gear. Their ongoing research has documented that ingestion of lead sinkers (including split shot) accounted for approximately 70% of the dead adult loons from fresh water. Just a single lead sinker can poison a loon. A bird with lead poisoning will have physical and behavioral changes including loss of balance, gasping, tremors and impaired ability to fly. The weakened bird is more vulnerable to predators and may have trouble feeding, mating, nesting, and caring for its young. It becomes emaciated and often dies within two to three weeks after eating the lead.

Post Thanks / Like

Bentley Jigs make some tungsten, most of the tungsten i'm aware of is for ice fishing. good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry guys, I should have mentioned that I do NOT want tungsten....period! Can't afford to replace my entire jig inventory with this expensive product. It's either got to be bismuth or tin or a combination there of. Besides....in about 5 years, when they complete a similar study as the above, they will determine (rightly so) that tungsten is 10X more toxic than lead.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast