Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Best hook sharpener

Post Thanks / Like

Default Best hook sharpener

What's the best? Want something reasonably quick and easy, and not stupid expensive.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

I've got the EdgeMaker point sharpener in "fine" grade (rather than "coarse"). I think it ran about $4. Works fine.

Name:  103 Fine Point Sharpener_M.jpg
Views: 961
Size:  31.7 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks bdorman, I have been looking at that one. I have one of the small tapered knife sharpeners with the groove in it, and it seems to work ok; I wasn't sure if the EdgeMaker was much better. I know I haven't heard much good about the electric sharpeners at all.

Post Thanks / Like

I suspect any form of electric sharpener would be far too aggressive for something as thin as a hook. Even if a hook feels dull, it only takes about 5-6 swipes through the EdgeMaker to put a very fine point on it. That would probably equal about 1/10 of a second on an electric.

What I didn't realize until I bought it: you "push" the hook through the sharpener, not "pull" it. It's kind of counter-intuitive, but makes sense that you wouldn't want the hook point hitting the sharpener; that would dull it instead of sharpen it.

I've also got the EdgeMaker knife sharpeners. My wife is amazed at how sharp her kitchen knives are now.

Post Thanks / Like

I've used these little pocket diamond hook sharpeners for years. $5
    Especially for tiny trout hooks, makes it easy with the handle and the groove. Most every place carries them.

Diamond Knife/Hook Sharpener, Other Fishing Tools, Fishing Tools, Fishing : Cabela's

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a rapala kit from Wally they were on sale after christmas came with a ruler pliers clippers hook sharpener and eyelit puncher and a laynard for the tools it was only like twenty bucks for the kit on sale from fourty
    CarDen Lawn Care and Maintenance
    www.cardenlawncare.com
    Cell (870) 329-4675