PDA

View Full Version : Rigging for deep water crappie

ccm
01-29-2012, 09:44 AM
Hi,
I am seeking help with rigging for deep water crappie. The crappie in our area (Northwest Louisiana) are generally caught in water that is between 15 and 25 feet deep in the coldest time of the year. How do you rig your baits for this type of fishing? An illustration would be great.

Thanks in advance for your help.

badbrad
01-29-2012, 09:59 AM
When tight lining, I just use a heavier jig head, 1/8 oz and have even gone as heavy as 1/4 oz. if I'm spider rigging, I usually use a size 2 split shot 12-16 above a 1/4 oz Teezur jig head or a "big head" jig. It's a large profile bait and I get some strange looks using it, but have had good success with it.

skeetbum
01-29-2012, 10:08 AM
Like Brad said, a heavier head makes this easier. I generally use 1/8 #4 sickle head and either one of my hand ties or a BGBS in a natural color. Now and then a chartreuse w/black back, but at this time of year they are mostly chasing shad so I tend to try and imitate them. I don't spider rig this time of year, normally, cuz lethargic fish in cold water sometimes bite very light, much lighter than you would expect from a fish their size. Tipping with a minnow or nibble will sometimes make a difference, and subtle color changes like from a blue to a black back on the plastic, will do it. I usually have a rod in each hand and eyes on the DF, foot on the TM, like I was taught, til a pattern shows through. I've had some good days lately like this.

CrappiePappy
01-29-2012, 10:57 AM
I don't have any illustrations .... but :

generally, if I'm fishing cold water & depths of 15-25ft ... I'm using a 1/16oz jighead with a live minner trailer, and just slowly/barely moving the boat OR jig. I'd probably opt to go up to a 1/8oz jighead, if the wind didn't allow for that slow of a presentation.

Another possibility would be to use the "Drop Shot" method/rigging.

... cp :cool:

MEATGETTER
01-29-2012, 11:13 AM
when fishing that deep spidderriggin i use a minner rig with a1/2 oz weight move as slow as possible work for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SlabPappi
01-29-2012, 11:15 AM
You may want to try a Caps And Coleman Double Minnow Rig

LBM
01-29-2012, 12:15 PM
I'm not spider rigging but agree with MEATGETTER on using heavier weights. I'm usually tight line hovering with rods in both hands using the heavier weights which loads the rod tip some thus easily indicating when to make a hook set after any positive or negative changes in the baits.

Fishing the deeper depths I don't have the patience waiting for lighter weights to descend to those deeper fish.

rnvinc
01-29-2012, 10:09 PM
Snake n da brush 5/8oz....

http://i477.photobucket.com/albums/rr134/rnvinc/IMG_3405.jpg

Rickie