Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: color line should you use or not

Post Thanks / Like

Question color line should you use or not

i see bright yellow,bright red lines. the lake i fish is pretty clear you can see a white spinnerbait 6 to 8 feet down on a normal day. i bass fish with 6to8# test line in green or florocarbon. my eyes our getting bad cant see the line. or crappie very line shy

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

All I ever use is Hi-vis yellow line. 'Course I try to fish stained water too.

Post Thanks / Like

in stained water hi vis is fine but in clear water i would use clear. Just my 2 cents.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't found them to be all that "line shy" ... and usually more interested in what's on the end of the line, rather than the color of the line. I don't fish waters that are quite that clear, but I still have had Crappie come up to a bait (on hi-vis line) that was visible to me, from the boat.
    I don't know if Crappie are even concerned with line color, but I do know that ... if you can't see your line well enough to detect that subtle bounce in the line, you're probably going to miss a few fish. This is especially true when casting & swimming a jig on a slow retrieve, semi-slack line ... like the way I fish.

Now ... if it concerns you, that you may be spooking fish with hi-vis line ... then there's a way to have hi-vis line, for your visibility, and clear line to offset the visibility of the fish : simply tie a 12-18" clear line "leader" onto your hi-vis main line. You can still "see" the line (& strike), while the fish has less of an opportunity to connect the hi-vis line with the bait he's looking at.

... cp

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

What he said.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

X3. I fish pretty clear water (can see a jig about 10 ft down) and you can watch the fish come and pick up a jig and they aren't worried about the line. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

i have been using hi-vis for 30yrs never had a problem with catching fish on it!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Pro Staff:
    Excel Boat (Meatgetter Edition)
    Crappieholic Apparel
    Hi-Tek Stuff
    Ozark Rods

Please support these great companies!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi- vis for old tired eyes. never noticed a problem in catchin either.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy View Post
    I haven't found them to be all that "line shy" ... and usually more interested in what's on the end of the line, rather than the color of the line. I don't fish waters that are quite that clear, but I still have had Crappie come up to a bait (on hi-vis line) that was visible to me, from the boat.
    I don't know if Crappie are even concerned with line color, but I do know that ... if you can't see your line well enough to detect that subtle bounce in the line, you're probably going to miss a few fish. This is especially true when casting & swimming a jig on a slow retrieve, semi-slack line ... like the way I fish.

Now ... if it concerns you, that you may be spooking fish with hi-vis line ... then there's a way to have hi-vis line, for your visibility, and clear line to offset the visibility of the fish : simply tie a 12-18" clear line "leader" onto your hi-vis main line. You can still "see" the line (& strike), while the fish has less of an opportunity to connect the hi-vis line with the bait he's looking at.

... cp
    Crappiepappy Thanks for the tip on clear leader line. I don't know why i did not think of that! I agree the HI Vis is what these old tired eyes like the best.

Post Thanks / Like

i vote for hi-vis

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast