Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts On This Years Spawn

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thoughts On This Years Spawn

I went fishing today and caught about 15 and when I cleaned them a large % already had large egg sacks. I know around here they have egg sacks mid winter not not as big as I seen the last few trips. Then I got to thinking how this warm winter will effect the spawn, water temps today was 58°. Coldest I've seen is 52° and I wonder if there will be an early sporadic spawn. I'm in south Alabama and would welcome your thoughts on this.

Helicopter Pilot
    Vietnam 67/68
    Proud Member of the Southeast Asian War Games Team

Post Thanks / Like

Here in Nebraska, at least eastern nebraska, most of the lakes and streams have frozen over, which is about time, there was an article not too long ago talking about how the long delay of a frozen ice cap on the lake might lead to unnatural mixing and cooling in the waters. Now that there is a decent ice pack on the lakes, things are probably more stable. I just hope we don't pay for 70 degree weather earlier this month by a prolonged winter that lasts through April.

Post Thanks / Like

On my home lake, Lanier the water is low and has been for awhile. We have lots of new growth but need the lake to come up so the fry will have a chance to grow and not get ate up.We have had a few bad years like I use to catch lots of whitebass but up till last year I had not caught any or heard of any being caught, now we are seeing a few now and then same with l.m.bass but again we are catching a few more. If the corp don't let all the water go and the good Loard blesses us with some rain we will have a good spawn

Post Thanks / Like

I'm in east central ms i caught some yesterday and just like you,noticed the egg sacks. The warmest surface temp i saw was 62, couldn't hardly believe it.I guess the rain we got warmed the water up a bit. I don't know what to say about the spawn except that i've caught spawning fish from late february till june. Ya just never know. Good luck and good fishing
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk19 View Post
    I went fishing today and caught about 15 and when I cleaned them a large % already had large egg sacks. I know around here they have egg sacks mid winter not not as big as I seen the last few trips. Then I got to thinking how this warm winter will effect the spawn, water temps today was 58°. Coldest I've seen is 52° and I wonder if there will be an early sporadic spawn. I'm in south Alabama and would welcome your thoughts on this.
    The two best times to fish (when it's raining & when it aint). Proud member of team GitDaFeeshGrease

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Blackhawk, looks like you've been doing well. As you know, I fish the Alabama River and the water temp here was 52 degrees eight days ago. There are some eggs in them, but not much. However, I think we will have a great spawn. I say this partly because of the eggs but also because I'm not finding any crappie in the "normal" winter spots that I'm use to. I mean none! The river is running fast and high right now. I hope it calms down enough by this Monday. My plan is to go to the mouths of creeks south of Swift Creek. If I find them there we'll probably have an early spawn. That is, unless we get 4 or 5 days of cold weather. Ahhh, the heck with it, I can't figure 'em out, so I'll just go fishin and what happens, happens.
    GET THE NET HAROLD, GET THE NET!!

Post Thanks / Like

I am in north Alabama near Decatur and the water temp has been from 37 to 39 degrees for a while. I have caught fish that had eggs for the last 2 weeks, not the big sacks that you mentioned but maybe the size of your little finger.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Every year I seem to think the crappie will spawn on any day (early spring) cause they look about ready to bust. It doesnt happen and I dont understand why. I mean fish with guts sticking out as wide as they are deep and still havent hit the banks?!? Seems every year it goes this way until the fish finally head to the banks mid/late March. Granted, for the past couple years I've caught some hawg females in 2' of water on sunny afternoons in mid/late Feb though.Thumbs Up I'll be expecting the same thing again this Feb too.

Post Thanks / Like

i think with the mild winter we have had so far its going to be a great spawn!!! check out the arkansas board "the bite is on" this is from the past monday & tuesday . (pictures)
    Pro Staff:
    Excel Boat (Meatgetter Edition)
    Crappieholic Apparel
    Hi-Tek Stuff
    Ozark Rods

Please support these great companies!

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gansett View Post
    Hey Blackhawk, looks like you've been doing well. As you know, I fish the Alabama River and the water temp here was 52 degrees eight days ago. There are some eggs in them, but not much. However, I think we will have a great spawn. I say this partly because of the eggs but also because I'm not finding any crappie in the "normal" winter spots that I'm use to. I mean none! The river is running fast and high right now. I hope it calms down enough by this Monday. My plan is to go to the mouths of creeks south of Swift Creek. If I find them there we'll probably have an early spawn. That is, unless we get 4 or 5 days of cold weather. Ahhh, the heck with it, I can't figure 'em out, so I'll just go fishin and what happens, happens.
    How bout a update from time to time on the Bama board ? I try to come down to Al river 4-5 times in the spring
    Thanks JOE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast