Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do I need to seal new floor?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Do I need to seal new floor?

I am putting a new floor in my aluminum boat. I have a sheet of marine plywood. Do I need to seal it or anything or just put it down? I will be putting new carpet over it.

Post Thanks / Like

Make certain it is marine ply not pressure treated first. And yes I would suggest sealing it well. Will help make it last longer.

Post Thanks / Like

Its marine plywood for sure. Only one place in town had it. Lowes and Home Depot here do not carry it.

Post Thanks / Like

seal it especially if you have to store the boat outside in the weather, otherwise you'll be re-doing the re-do sooner rather than later.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

I built boats for Correct Craft, the Ski Nautique people, and all the wood that goes into their boats at the time I worked for them was sealed with fiberglass resin. It's mixed to kick, or react slow, and thinned 50/50 with acetone. Thinning lets the resin absorb as deep as possible before hardening, and the slow kick gives more working time. We got trade in boats that were real old, and the wood was intact. Should you not want to use resin, you can do the same thing with polyurethane, after thinning it 50/50 with mineral spirits. Not quite as durable but easier to find the stuff. Not thinning whatever you use doesn't last even close to as long.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

man, what great advise. i will be sure to remember this for any projects i might have in the future. you never know what you will learn here.
    Quote Originally Posted by skeetbum View Post
    I built boats for Correct Craft, the Ski Nautique people, and all the wood that goes into their boats at the time I worked for them was sealed with fiberglass resin. It's mixed to kick, or react slow, and thinned 50/50 with acetone. Thinning lets the resin absorb as deep as possible before hardening, and the slow kick gives more working time. We got trade in boats that were real old, and the wood was intact. Should you not want to use resin, you can do the same thing with polyurethane, after thinning it 50/50 with mineral spirits. Not quite as durable but easier to find the stuff. Not thinning whatever you use doesn't last even close to as long.
    The two best times to fish (when it's raining & when it aint). Proud member of team GitDaFeeshGrease

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skeetbum View Post
    Skeetbum... I am the DIY guy that has never done it himself until now. I am replacing the deck in the boat that I just bought. Would love to get my hands on this stuff you r talking about with the fiberglass resin. Where can I get this stuff at?

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

If you can't get it or it is to expensive you can go to a paint store and get some Marine Spar varnish thin with spirits just like Skeet said and put a couple of coats on. It is almost as good as the glass. Just recarpeted the decks last summer on my old boat that I had done that to back in 1996 still as good as when I did them the first time. What ever you do just take your time and ask lots of questions.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

You can find fiberglass resin at some Wal-Marts, and most good Auto-Parts stores.
    J

Post Thanks / Like

I'm confused... why does thinning it make it last longer than straight application out of the can? It seems a straight application is giving you twice the protection? Have you guys been drinking again

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast