Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fisherman_Wantabe's thread " Everybody Please".

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fisherman_Wantabe's thread " Everybody Please".

in the bad boys forum got me to thinking about stories momma used to tell me when I was a kid. She was born in 1935 and is still living,working..why I have no idea, she doesn't need money. She is one of the most mature Christians I know. She has eight siblings. They were raised working on other peoples farms over in St. Francis county Ar., moved from one house to the other, I guess depending on what farmer needing help.

Anyway Beave mentioned the " Soup lines" during the Great Depression. I have only read stories about and or heard from peoples personal suffurage during those hard times.

Momma told me my grand father would walk to work everyday during this particular picking year. He could walk by road and have to walk about 16 miles, or cut through the hills and it be about 5 miles to go pick peaches for .50 cents a day. He did this all season long. She said one particular year bad times had fallen on everybody, even the owners of the farms. The farmer, not the one that had the orchard ,whose shack they were living in, had some hogs, a big garden of vegetables, everything needed for this farmer to care for his family. This particular year, she told me her and some of her siblings would go over and eat the slop this farmer would feed his hogs. There just wasn't enough food to go around. I'm sure some of you fellows know and have seen these old farms shacks they had long ago. I can't imagine 10 people living in one of those dwellings.

We all have heard stories about walking ten miles, no shoes to wear, even in the winter time one way uphill. We get tickled about it, my mother lived it. She has no reason to lie. how i know she isn't pulling me leg, it makes her cry to reminence about those hard times.

Anybody have any stories like this? I sure would like to hear them.

Post Thanks / Like

I used to have to connect to crappie.com with a 2400 baud rate modem. Those were tough times I tells ya, tough times indeed.

I feel like crying myself now.
    incognito....... here fishy fishy fishy

Post Thanks / Like

Thats because you are too cheap to knock the dust off that million dollar CD you have.

Quote Originally Posted by popperonahead View Post
    I used to have to connect to crappie.com with a 2400 baud rate modem. Those were tough times I tells ya, tough times indeed.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I can relate. I was raised on a farm in the 40's. I know how to pick cotton, pull corn and slop hogs. My parents lived thru the depression, but we were lucky to own land. Only time I ever saw my mom cry back then was when it flooded after spring planting. We just toughed it out and without handouts. Guess that is why I am as I am today.

I went to private school because of our faith. KKK still makes me puke today.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by popperonahead View Post

Rofl

Post Thanks / Like

My dad grew up on a farm during the Depression. I don't remember a lot of specifics, but I know it wasn't easy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishingpox View Post
    Thats because you are too cheap to knock the dust off that million dollar CD you have.

i'm still waiting for beav to send me one of those free checks he gets.
    incognito....... here fishy fishy fishy

Post Thanks / Like

I can remember the out house that we had on the farm (late 50's). Had a coal burning stove in the kitchen that heated the whole house. We lived on 80 acres, dad milked and tried to farm. Can remember the milk truck coming out to get the milk. We eventually moved to town, dad ended up getting a job at the fire dept but kept the farm and row cropped. Went to a Catholic school, either walked or rode my bike (close to a mile) to school. I can still remember ALL the different ways that I could make my way to school. So many things a kid can do to occupy your time on your way home. Remember the apple trees along the way home in the fall...or the pick up games of baseball and football. Back then they harvested (at least the grownups did in our family) corn on the cob. Can remember going out in the fields and making piles of corn (corn the picker didn't get). They my uncle would drive me around and I would pick up the corn piles and take it to the elevator. Don't remember what become of the money...I just did it.

Can remember when I was in 6th grade...called a girl a B####H....got my ass whipped at school...got my ass whipped at home...never called anybody that name again.

Mom always had a board...washing machine board....she used it to prop up the window in the living room...always kept an eye on it...can remember when we got the window fan to cool the house at night. We got along just fine without A/C...maybe thats why I sleep with a fan...my kids (grown up and have kids) have a fan at their bed too. Some things I guess you just pass on. When we ate supper we ate together...nobody got up till everybody was done. We always said a prayer before we ate...thank you very much Mom.

Always hated taking the knife out side in the back and cleaning out the weeds between the bricks (pathway from the porch to the garage)....where was Roundup when you needed it. I know now that Mom knew we could pour saltwater on the bricks...guess she had a better idea for me...

Wouldn't trade my youth for anything....
    Sacred Heart of Mary, pray for us now, and at the hour of our death. AMEN
    For those who believe, no explanation is necessary....for those who don't, no explanation is possible
    For the sake of his sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and the whole world

Post Thanks / Like

Where did you grow up? I knew you probably had to live close to the Memphis area to have graduated at the U of M.

I have been reading a book on how Memphis was established as a town. The book starts back in the early 1700's and beyond really. When La Salle and Hernado Desoto and a few others were exploring the Mississippi River. Purdy interesting stuff, even my home town is in the book on how it was established. I did not know West Memphis,Ar. was actually on the Ms. River back just across from Tom L. Park,but flood waters finally took it and washed it out.

I know you have some good stories to tell mister.

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Pole View Post
    I can relate. I was raised on a farm in the 40's. I know how to pick cotton, pull corn and slop hogs. My parents lived thru the depression, but we were lucky to own land. Only time I ever saw my mom cry back then was when it flooded after spring planting. We just toughed it out and without handouts. Guess that is why I am as I am today.

I went to private school because of our faith. KKK still makes me puke today.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Our family farm was in the Edison community, between Fruitland and Frog Jump Tn. Useta flood there a lot. Still floods a lot around Trenton, Tn. We useta panhandle veggies on the court square in Trenton. Rode to Trenton in wagon drawn by mules, but the wagon had rubber tires. This was in the late 40's. Precious memories of time gone by. Golden years.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast