Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: White colored lures

Post Thanks / Like

Default White colored lures

I've been spending most of my down time reading up on proper conditions to use certain colored lures and i think i pretty much have it nailed down, except for white. Most fish see colors in a shade of grey, and since white is basically a very bright grey, i just don't see any conditions, at least around here in the plains to use a white colored bait. The water is stained to muddy at times so white wouldn't really work to well, and it seems that darker colors are more affluent at night. So any suggestions on when to use a white colored bait, or given the water in the area that i am in, white just isn't a very good color at all.

Post Thanks / Like

I fish white in my stain lake year round. caught 5,000 on that color last year. it can be seen in stain water better than most baits ,at least with human eye,try it
    God Demonstrated his love for us. Romans 5:8

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe at deeper depths, white can be seen. I would think at shallower waters with a bright sunshine, white wouldn't be seen to well.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Chris ... I'd like to know where you got the information that states that "Most fish see colors in a shade of grey" !! That flies in the face of all the research that I've ever read, which states that some fish can distinguish more shades of color than humans, can see farther in less than clear water conditions than humans, and see better in cold water than warm water.

When I first started casting jigs for Crappie, back in the 1960's, white was the primary color of choice. The waters I fish are generally considered stained to murky, being as a white jig will disappear from site in less than 2-3ft from the surface. While chartreuse/limetreuse HAS become a more primary choice for me (& many others), white still represents a baitfish's coloration and shouldn't be discounted.

... cp

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCarter View Post
    Maybe at deeper depths, white can be seen. I would think at shallower waters with a bright sunshine, white wouldn't be seen to well.
    Actually, it's the other way around !! White, at depths past light penetration, is seen as black or grey, since there's no light to reflect from it. Shallow & under bright sunlight, it reflects the light & can therefore be seen at greater distances.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

try a white bait, where conditions clearly indicate a black bait should be used...you will be suprised.
    Has alot to do with crappiepappy's post scientificly.(hint hint, maybe they look the same to a fish)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy View Post
    Chris ... I'd like to know where you got the information that states that "Most fish see colors in a shade of grey" !! That flies in the face of all the research that I've ever read, which states that some fish can distinguish more shades of color than humans, can see farther in less than clear water conditions than humans, and see better in cold water than warm water.

When I first started casting jigs for Crappie, back in the 1960's, white was the primary color of choice. The waters I fish are generally considered stained to murky, being as a white jig will disappear from site in less than 2-3ft from the surface. While chartreuse/limetreuse HAS become a more primary choice for me (& many others), white still represents a baitfish's coloration and shouldn't be discounted.

... cp
    Probably have to look at my history to find the page i was looking at. Plus i don't know how old the article was either. But i remember it said that most surface feeders, which to my understanding is catfish, carp, and around here buffalo, see colors in shades of grey. While sunfish see colors more like we do, with some exceptions. Such as Bass don't see blue, they see it as black, depending on how dark or light the blue is. Other fish which hang closer to the bottom, which again to my understanding would walleye, pike, and such can actually see colors of the ultraviolet spectrum, which we can't see. Of course it stated that every species of fish sees colors differently.

But the article never really talked about the color white, or when to use a white colored lure. Whether on a sunny day, cloudy day, dawn/dusk, or night.

Post Thanks / Like

I've always heard it referred to as refridgerator white...meaning that the best conditions to go with it is when you're wanting to put fish in one.

I've watched a video of a guide in KY that only uses white.

Post Thanks / Like

I long line troll at times on my local lake and it seems when the regular colors [chartruse or blue] aren,t working I change to all white and thats the ticket. Pretty clear lake also.

Post Thanks / Like

Just thought I'd add this lil FYI tid bit to the equation: According to In Fisherman - more fishing records including all species have been broken or are being held by presentations with the color "White" than any other! Most of these records are set within just a few days of full Moon cycles, or during a completely obscured/Blacked out Moons. White works well in all water clarity, and is a staple for fishing on the Mississippi River in my book. I like it best on cloudless, sunny days in murky to chocolate milk backwaters hovering next to structure. Big bites, full baskets, and God's blessings to ya!

<,"}//>{
    Just one more cast, I promise!
    Common sense isn't all that common these days.
    Take the Time & Take the Kids

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast