Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Augusta city lake asian carp

Post Thanks / Like

Default Augusta city lake asian carp

Craig please tell me you saw the pictures on kwch with that big Asian carp mixed in with the flatheads? I'm dying to know your thoughts?
    travis

Craig Johnson is offline Moderator "Ask The Biologist" Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kscatman View Post
    Craig please tell me you saw the pictures on kwch with that big Asian carp mixed in with the flatheads? I'm dying to know your thoughts?
    travis
    Travis,

I did see the pictures/video on KWCH as well as the pictures in the Augusta Gazette. Also saw some other photos taken by 'non-media' folks that were there when the fish were caught. The 'fish in question' was a 55lb bighead carp. The fish was snagged during the ongoing public fish salvage at Augusta City Lake. The water level is being drawn down for dam and spillway repairs and all possible water will be removed. The public fish salvage is intended to remove all fish from the water. The discovery of the Asian carp species in a new water body is obviously not a good one. The big question now is where did it come from. We (KDWPT) are still working on the possible sources of the fish and we have a few ideas that are still being researched. We will also be closely watching for any additional Asian carp to come from the remaining pool at the lake.

The upside is that I received numerous calls from the public that saw the fish in the media and called to report it. The Region 4 Office in Wichita received a couple dozen calls on the Asian carp which shows the public is looking out for the resource and taking the initiative to call and report when 'something isn't right'.

Post Thanks / Like

That's great people are in tune with these things. I appreciate your response an hope its the only one in there. I guess it shows people are getting educated by all the calls you guys received. Thanks again for your reply