Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: boat registration

Post Thanks / Like

Default boat registration

Ok so I went online to do the boat registration. When I pay it charges me $1.50 for doing it online.
    DMV gives you a $5 discount for registering online. What gives with DGIF? I know it is only a buck and a half but times 100,000 boats in virginia thats $150,000 that somebody is making. Hidden tax, hidden fee that is what it is. Ok I feel better, now I can legally go catch a fish in my boat. Next time I will send them a check and save a bit o money.

Post Thanks / Like

LOL just thinking how much I spend on fishing and how $1.50 is just a drop in the hat, Ill tell you those kind of fees are getting ridiculous, Like you said about saving 5 by online registration, Its really just where they added $5 to doing business in person.

A prime example, I have my Auto and Life Insurance through State Farm... Now I like a paper copy of my Bill and dont feel comfortable giving them an open "in" to my account, not that they would rob me or anything, but just feel like a paper bill and stroking a check would keep me on my P's & Q's about maintaining a balanced check book being that the bill varies a few dollars from month to month. Well they charge me $3.00 per billing statement to mail it to me ..... I am a landscaper by trade and KNOW that I couldnt charge someone for a paper copy of an invoice or even an estimate which involves physically being in the field to lay eyes and possibly measurements and shooting grades for figuring materials. I myself believe that $3 bucks should be absorbed by the business, or at least figured in and hidden LOL.

Now Ill give you something to think about, A mechanic will diagnose a problem and give you a best case and / or worst case estimate for parts and labor, If you go into a hospital they cant give you an estimate...... and better yet If your in bad shape and decide to opt out of treatment they can get the law involved, you have no choice, the matter is then out of your hands.... for example last year my dad went to a patient first over a sever flu/respiratory Infection, His blood oxygen level was low, my mom was there and they decided he needed to be rushed to the hospital, he said okay my wife will get me there, the doctor replied your going in an ambulance, he refused they said they could go with the police or without...... Locked into a $500 12 mile ride.... crazy, seems crooked.
    "Kids who hunt and fish dont steal and deal"

2012 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion
    2012 Buggs Bash Champion

Post Thanks / Like

PP the medical profession is hamstrung by lawyers. Example, a few years back I go to the emergency room for a kidney stones, probably my third go round, Dr say we're sending you upstairs for a CT. I ask why a CT and isn't that about a 3k test, previously I had just had X rays to determine size and location of the stones. She says yes but since they now have a CT machine the company that carries their liability insurance requires a Ct in cases like mine. So my health insurance (glad I had that) got the bill for 3k. Then the urologist requests x rays anyway so he can make an "accurate size and location assessment" of the stone for treatment. I ended up paying 10% of the CT, if it wasn't for the morphine induced stupor the cops would have been involved then too.

Post Thanks / Like

Get this. This was a kick in the stones if there ever was one. Wife had to have a surgery this year. Was not an emergency surgery but needed to be done. I pay 13 grand premium with a 2500 deductible per person for 4 of us. Blue cross Blue shield. Surgery cost 18 grand, i get billed for 3800 bucks. Not only did I pay that big premium but have to pay more than the deductible because of different stipulations?! If You are like me and have to buy Your own insurance, You get screwed big time. If I knew My wife and I could go the next ten years with no major hospitalization, I would drop the dang insurance and take the premium money and grow it somewhere where I could get compounding interest. Insure myself. But one surgery now can bankrupt You.CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiefarmer View Post
    Get this. This was a kick in the stones if there ever was one. Wife had to have a surgery this year. Was not an emergency surgery but needed to be done. I pay 13 grand premium with a 2500 deductible per person for 4 of us. Blue cross Blue shield. Surgery cost 18 grand, i get billed for 3800 bucks. Not only did I pay that big premium but have to pay more than the deductible because of different stipulations?! If You are like me and have to buy Your own insurance, You get screwed big time. If I knew My wife and I could go the next ten years with no major hospitalization, I would drop the dang insurance and take the premium money and grow it somewhere where I could get compounding interest. Insure myself. But one surgery now can bankrupt You.CF
    You are right, can't live without it. I've got a buddy got hit by a car the guy didn't have insurance, suspend license, AWOL from the Navy. His hospital bill was 12k, got two kids under 6, wife stays home cause if she worked it wouldn't cover child care. They started garnishing his wages, then he couldn't do construction work on the base because he had a judgement against him. They ended up moving in with her parents and he's working under the table for cash, sooner or later the IRS is going to catch up with him and things will just get worst.

Corker is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General - Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Percidae_Papermouth View Post
    Locked into a $500 12 mile ride
    Quote Originally Posted by Boscoe View Post
    the medical profession is hamstrung by lawyers...CT...a 3k test...I ended up paying 10% of the CT
    Quote Originally Posted by crappiefarmer View Post
    I pay 13 grand premium with a 2500 deductible per person for 4 of us....one surgery now can bankrupt You
    Too many lawyers bringing too many lawsuits on behalf of too many people trained to view themselves as "victims" has turned our healthcare system into this nightmare. The answer is "tort reform"--placing limits on lawsuits.

Post Thanks / Like

Just wait, I see where DGIF and VA DMV are joining forces for boat registrations. DGIF was doing a fine job and now we will be at the mercy of DMV clerks to get a boat registered. I can't wait. I had a time when I wanted to register my Coleman Scanoe, its a squareback canoe rated for a 5 HP, I wanted to run an electric TM on it. I had to title it, then the county wanted to tax me on it, I had to take it to them and show them it was a canoe, they tax boats but not canoes but if it has a title it's a boat, what a mess. After they saw it was a canoe, they did take it off my personal property tax bill.
    The Mountain Man
    "ooo I got a bite !!!."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Corker View Post
    Too many lawyers bringing too many lawsuits on behalf of too many people trained to view themselves as "victims" has turned our healthcare system into this nightmare. The answer is "tort reform"--placing limits on lawsuits.
    Yes, I agree. The lawyers have stunk up the joint. BUT the insurance companies are not as clean as the wind driven snow. Just as corrupt and so are the doctors that milk the insurance for what its worth. I know of a doctor down here that checks every single patients long term medical history even if You go in for a headache. He does this every time even if You go in the next week. He does it again. That is because insurance pays him an extra 200 bucks just to do it. Not because it is needed or He is being a good doctor. Whole system stinks. I'm sure there are plenty of doctors who don't do this but the ones that do are adding to the problem and there are a pile that do. Tort reform and insurance regulation reform are both needed. Insurance companies need to be made to compete with each other.CF

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry Flatwater for moving away from the subject but they are related. So many folks out there to screw you over.CF

Post Thanks / Like

No worries, seems we all understand there is something underhanded taking our money.
    I was going to frame a letter my insurance company sent me. My doc billed my insurance company for a medical procedure, that can only be performed on a female. (wrong code) So I get a letter explaining Subject is a male and a pap smear cannot be performed on a male. Ha ha silly mistake and they say it is all taken care of. 6 months latter I start getting calls from a collection agency. My doc never fixed the error, instead he sent it to a collection agency to collect the amount the insurance denied. I paid a lawyer $35 to write them a strong letter explaining what transpired and what may happen if they did not correct the matter.

8 years later I am still explaining what happened and why I had a bill sent to a collection agency.