Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Cricket Fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cricket Fishing

I have not fished with crickets since i was a really little kid, so I am not sure on the set up. What size/type hook is best and how much weight?

BetterNet’r Guest

About a #6 long cricket hook? Brown/Black not gold.

although, we used gold minnow hooks with crickets last weekend and caught lots of nice Bream. It's wild b/c usually the fish are so picky.

Post Thanks / Like

I use a red or black #8 Owner Mosquito hook.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Dennis hows it going? You need to get you some crickets, bream can't stand em. I like the others use a light wire cricket hook with a long shank so you can get it out of their small mouth on my b&m 9ft jig pole or an old 9' flyrod. I like the really thin slip boober that your line goes through on one end, I don't know exactly what thier called but they are really thin. Add just enough weight to keep the top 1 to1-1/2" of the boober out of the water and dip it around cover. With this set up it only takes very minimal pressure to pull the boober down and you got him. Man I love bream fishin almost as much as jig fishin for crappie. See ya.
    3GD

Post Thanks / Like

I use a small jig head....they don't swallow the hook and I can unhook them quick and if I get hung up I can reel down to the hook and get loose easy...

Post Thanks / Like

Long shank #6,7 or 8. Love to use these jumpy thangs when the gills are beddin. Really motivates the gills to strike, if the cricket is still moving.