Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Google Earth Tool- Anyone ever use it?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Google Earth Tool- Anyone ever use it?

This is a pretty cool tool that Google has.There is a free version to download.Gives GPS coordinates,lists on ATM's,resteraunts,hotels,schools,and lots more.I use it for looking up lakes and rivers around the country.A pretty cool download if you have a cable connection.If on dial-up,it may be more of a headache than it's worth.

On the lakes that I frequent I think it's pretty cool to see all the sunken islands,points and bars from an aerial point of view.Let's you also pop in an address and zoom in almost on the rooftop.Oh and one more cool added feature is the ability to go 3D.

Go here to look http://earth.google.com/
    CrappieMagnet

Post Thanks / Like

I use Google Earth a lot. It is a great tool for locating new fishing holes. I have been on a lake heading to a destination and wondered just where does that cove go? Now I can see every cove, creek and dock on the lake. It is also good for navigating a strange city. You can actually see the building you are looking for before you get there.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah pretty neat. I dont think they actually update it very often. For example, if you zoom up to NY, you will see the excavation of the WTC site. SO the images are at least 5 years old.

Post Thanks / Like

I use it for lots of things including for fishing info. It's just neat to have that kind of tool available for free.

Post Thanks / Like

I use it more for hunting, but have tried it for fishing also.

It does not have good pictures of Grenada Lake though.

Post Thanks / Like

Google is often very useful, especially the areas that are high resolution. Unfortunately my lake is not in one of those areas.

Another great tool is TerraClient. This program downloads satellite images from TerraServer and allows you to overlay it with a topographic map, including the topography of the bottom of the lake. The satellite images are not very current but I still find it useful.
    Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men...Matt 4:19

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone bought the pay version? It seems that it may be better. NASA also has a free sat version, but I have not took the time to explore.

Post Thanks / Like

Also try www.local.live.com.
    Scott Echols
    Hi-Tek Stuff
    Crazy Angler Tackle

shawngo Guest

The fishing map that I made using Google Maps API is also available in KML format which is what is used by Google Earth to read location data.

The fishing map is at
    http://www.shawngo.com/gmaps/

More about the KML file can be found here
    http://www.shawngo.com/xgeneratorx.php

You must save it as KML when using Internet Explorer. I believe it will open Google Earth if you use Firefox.

Let me know what you think. I'd like to ad a private/group area so people can sign up with their friends/forum members :p and share a private map, including Google Earth format.

Cheers,
    Shawn

http://www.fishing-locations.com